Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2002, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Default Alaska Tour - Logistics

How does the tour part work. I've been on many a cruise; the getting on and off is the worst part. How do hundreds of people get on busses and enter hotels and still enjoy the tour. I would very much like to go this summer. Would very much appreciate some one who has gone on cruise/TOUR. Please tell me about the TOUR part.

Should I just take the cruise and the Hotel Package or what?

Thanks a million,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Tour - Logistics

I went on one cruise tour of Alaska several years ago, for me I would never consider another. They are costly- usually meals are not included and the fixed schedule can sometimes be a great negative. Looking at a tour- go for as long as you can, since the distances are vast it make no sense to consider a tour that takes more time in transist than at the attraction. I get far more enjoyment out of going independently and have many times. So much better to have the freedom to stop where and when you wish. I also go for about 1/2 the costs and definately see twice as much. Consider a look at THE MILEPOST, try your library for a copy. This is a necessary reference for Alaska travel in my opinion.
Old June 15th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Alaska Tour - Logistics

Jim - We are doing a tour seperate from our cruise in July. We went through Alaska Tour and Travel www.alaska-tour.com or 1-800-208-0200. Found it to be less expensive than with a whole cruise package. They have many different tour packages or you can set up your own. We are doing part bus and train (mostly train per our preference). We will leave out of Seward where our cruise ends, go to Denali National Park and then back to Anchorage. Stay along the way in hotels, etc and do a couple of excursions along the way. We have plenty of time to relax and enjoy ourselves as well. You can make it hectic by booking alot to do or you can have a more relaxed schedule, it's up to you. In my opinion, if you are not familiar with Alaska then this is the ideal way to see Alaska. This is our first trip. Next time, we would do what Karen has suggested and there is no question, you could definately save money on your own, BUT, like I said, if you are not familiar with Alaska, it would be hard to plan a trip in my opinion without really knowing what you wanted to see or where to go. Alaska is so big that you could spend alot of time in just one area and not really see a whole lot and be out of time but by doing this tour we feel we are getting the best of both worlds. This way we will get a feel of alot of Alaska between cruise and tour. We are going for a total of 2 weeks in all. Hope this helops. Good luck with your plans and go for it!!!
Old June 15th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Alaska Tour - Logistics

, if you are not familiar with
> Alaska, it would be hard to plan a trip in my opinion without
> really knowing what you wanted to see or where to go. Alaska
> is so big that you could spend alot of time in just one area
> and not really see a whole lot and be out of time but by doing
> this tour we feel we are getting the best of both worlds. This
> way we will get a feel of alot of Alaska between cruise and
> tour. We are going for a total of 2 weeks in all. Hope this
> helops. Good luck with your plans and go for it!!!

This actually is not true, very easy to plan a trip in my opinion. A necessary reference is definately the Milepost. There are few roads in Alaska and if you look, most tours and any independent travel goes to the same places, usually Anchorage, Denali Park, Fairbanks, sometimes Talkeetna. Only one road about 350 miles, Anchorage- Fairbanks. As I mention- be sure to factor in the travel times for any touring of Alaska, ballpark- train Seward- Anchorage 4.5 hours, Anchorage- Denali Park 8 hours, Denali Park - Fairbanks, 4 hours, bus/car 3, 5+, 2 hours.