Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2002, 07:11 PM
First Mate

Default Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

My girl-friend thinks that her life is in danger of a Titanic type of event on the Alaska voyage. Is there in any merit in her fears??? What safe guards do modern ships have to prevent late night disasters???
Finally, how close do the cruise ships come to the Icebergs??

Thanks a million,

jim
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

Hello Jim,

Your girlfriend should have no fears at all. The technology on the bridge is compared with NASA. I wish we had this data available when I flew as a crew member in the war zones (60's), I know dating myself. Cruising today is very safe. The electronics, crew spotters and all the information sent to the bridge is overwhelming. The first and foremost item is safety of the passengers, crew and ship.

As for how close the ship comes to an iceberg is the discretion of the Captain. The closet I've heard and been is 1/2 mile, and you would swear you were only a small bit away.

No Captain will put the ship and all the people in harms way.

Tell her the fears have no merit!!

Enjoy Alaska, it is a wonder no one should miss.

Old June 20th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

Four cruises to Alaska, Glacier Bay as well as Hubbard and College Fjords. Never
very close to the glaciers, and never have we seen a large iceberg. Lots of floating
ice, but certainly nothing to be concerned about. The ships move so slowly in the
glacier areas, one should have no fear. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places
in the world. ENJOY, ENJOY There is no way to compare No. Atlantic icebergs and the
speed of the Titanic with conditions in Alaska
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

Jim,

"My girl-friend thinks that her life is in danger of a Titanic type of event on the Alaska voyage. Is there in any merit in her fears??? What safe guards do modern ships have to prevent late night disasters???"

1. Modern cruise ships have incredible equipment, including access to satellite tracking of iceburgs of any size. Knowing exactly where icebergs might be, it's very easy to avoid the area.

2. Modern cruise ships are divided into many watertight compartments below the water line. The number of compartments that you would have to flood in order to endanger such a ship is so great that no single iceberg could possibly do it.

3. Modern cruise ships also have adequate lifeboats and liferafts to accommodate all of the passengers, officers, staff, and crew in the event that something really unthinkable does happen.

"Finally, how close do the cruise ships come to the Icebergs??"

As others have said, no captain of any cruise ship is going to put the ship in any danger whatsoever. You can be sure that the ship will remain a safe distance from any large chunk of ice that breaks off of any glacier.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Cathey

Default Re: Re: Re: Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

Dangerous! yeah its up to the captain. Ours (Radiance of Sea) turned away last thursday in hubbards. Sea Princess went in to hubbards but we turned away. Fog and very very large icebergs were everywhere. From what I hear we missed a great sight. Oh well maybe next time. Relax and enjoy.
Old June 28th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dangerous Icebergs in Alaska

My grandchildren asked me the same question about danger just like the Titanic. I said that there are ships in front of our ship and ships behind us. Plus, going through the inside passage you can see land close by on both sides. Plus, the lifeboats are moterized. Plus, there are Coastguard rescue boats, & helicopters. Our new technology can handle any emergency. I also believe that Captains don't like to risk damage to expensive ships or risk the lives of people. I just got back from Alaska it was summer already. Hardly any snow
on the mountain tops.
Old July 13th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Harvestmoon

Default Icebergs

My girl-friend thinks that her life is in danger of a Titanic type of event on the Alaska voyage. Is there in any merit in her fears??? What safe guards do modern ships have to prevent late night disasters???

Finally, how close do the cruise ships come to the Icebergs??

Thanks a million,

jim

Jim,

We just got back from Alaska and we found the ship to be very safe. We went to Prince William Sound where there were ice bergs, but nothing like the Titanic!! They were very small, I mean very small, and the ships only do about 4 knots through them. They will not take you anywhere that would endanger the passengers.

Hope this helps.

Some bergs were 1 foot by 1 foot, all the way to ten feet round. Don't worry!! Enjoy. Instead of worrying about hitting one, sit back and listen to the snap, crackle pop of the ice!! It is fantastic!!
Old July 25th, 2002, 05:44 PM
bev lilley

Default hubbard glacier

Can you tell me what day this was and how you know about the Sea Princess. We were on the Royal Carribean and turned away. We were somewhat disappointed in the whole cruise (not Alaska) and wondered if the other cruise ships experienced the same or was our captain just inexperienced with Alaska. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Bev

Dangerous! yeah its up to the captain. Ours (Radiance of Sea) turned away last thursday in hubbards. Sea Princess went in to hubbards but we turned away. Fog and very very large icebergs were everywhere. From what I hear we missed a great sight. Oh well maybe next time. Relax and enjoy.
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: hubbard glacier

I don't think that the larger ships like the Radiance of the Sea, Star Princess, or other large ships are really able to get close enough to the the Glacier areas because of their size. I think their ships can be struck by the underwater glaciers. That is why I chose the Mercury ship to see Hubbard Glacier in May and the Ocean Princess in July to see the Glacier Bay and other Glaciers.

I was joking with some friends if we had gone on the Radiance or the Star, the captain would not be able to get as close as we did to the glaciers. I think all they can do is point to the area from far away and say see the glaciers over THERE!! So I guess my theory was right.

I am sorry you didn't get to see it close up.

We saw a very small Alaskan Exployer ship that
put their passengers in small boats so they could get dangerously close to the Glaciers as the Glaciers were breaking apart and splashing into the ocean. People were saying they would like to go on that ship next time. They cost more but you get real close to the glaciers.