Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Shanon

Default Alaska Cruise Attire

Some of you out there have already gone on your cruise this season so tell me, what was the attire for the evenings? Did you see many capri pants, ladies?? Will short sleeve summer things be fine or would it be to cool? Just not sure just what to pack yet. I have the casual warm clothes for the day but night time, not so sure. Got the hubby pretty much figured out but as for myself - still pondering!! My dresses for the formal nights have no backs so wondering if I should get a wrap. Any info would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Therese

Default Re: Alaska Cruise Attire

Hi

I would probably get a wrap...what time of year are you going? most of the attire on our cruise leaned towards Winter, but it was mid-May.

Therese
Old June 19th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise Attire

You will be out of place, also unconfortable in summer attire. Layers are even the norm in the evening. I take my dressy sweaters and pull overs, black is prevalent.
Old June 20th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Laura J

I just got off the Mercury June 16th. One thing we noticed on this ship was the interior temperatures were kept comfortable for short sleeves - even sleeveless. I found I could wear sleeveless dresses, etc. at night easily. One step outside to the deck though and you quickly needed a sweater (or more!) especially when we were at sea with the wind blowing.

During the day we'd constantly have to take clothes on and off. Definitely bring short sleeve shirts to layer under things. We'd have to pull off sweatshirts and jackets as soon as we came indoors because we'd quickly get warm!

By the way, we had incredible sunny weather all week with day time temps in the mid 60's to mid 70's. It even went up to 80 the day we were in Sitka! Even the locals were amazed at the beautiful weather because it certainly is not the norm.

One more point...I seriously overpacked. Hard not to do when you're trying to cover all the bases. I've read before that you should lay out the things you are going to take, then put half of them back....wish I had listened to that advice!

Lightweight, hooded jacket. Couple fleece tops, couple long sleeve shirts, several tshirts, comfortable pants, fleece hat and gloves....all were useful. Didn't need my raingear (but I was prepared!) Brought too many sweaters and things I never put on!
Old June 21st, 2002, 08:16 PM
Shanon

Thanks Laura for the vote of confidence on the short sleeves. Eventhough Karen said I would be out of place, oh well, then out of place I would be because I still plan on taking summer clothing. Not so sure in 60 or 70 degree weather why you would need winter clothing "all the time" but then again, this is our first trip to Alaska, soon to find out.

I appreciate the experience of overpacking you shared as that is me. I do tend to overpack also. Shoes will be another packing problem. Want good sneakers for walking, hiking boots for trails, sandals for some dinner outfits, light weight sneakers, listen to me but a women always thinks she needs it all, don't we?? Ha! Ha!

Thanks again for being so helpful!!
Old June 22nd, 2002, 12:38 AM
DeniseToAlaska

Overpacking? How could one ever overpack when we're told to bring:

Light clothes for on shore (It's been in the 80's in Juneau), warm clothes for the glacier tours and on deck in the water where it IS cold, somewhat dressy for dinner, casual for day, in other words, bring the whole closet? hehe

I've settled on one huge suitcase, one small carry-on. I'm going to overpack and I don't care. I has wheels.

I think with 2100 people on board, you're bound to see everything (and totally not care).

I live in CA so I own exactly one sweater and one light coat. Almost everything I own is short-sleeved except my drop-dead sparkly gown, which I was worried might be TOO much. It's kinda blinding, but they're all right, it's a cruise! I'll wear it.

The sweater and coat might get more use than ever before, but I'm not buying all long-sleeved clothes just to cruise.

I did buy some gloves on the recommendation of my cabin-mate who's been there before.

Denise
Old June 22nd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise Attire

Denise - you have me laughing... my thoughts exactly!! How not to overpack when you have to take something of everything!

I'm from the frozen north so I have all the winter type clothing, but I'm not going to dress for winter... layers, I know, but it won't be as cold as winter when we are cruising in August. I have a coworker that cruised AK a couple years ago and says "no shorts - your won't need them". If I''ve learned anything from traveling it is to take at least one of each thing - shorts, sweatshirt, etc. A pair of shorts don't take up much room in the suitcase (lol)
Old June 23rd, 2002, 06:57 PM
Laura J

I agree...take one of everything. Definitely slide in a pair of shorts...needed mine in Sitka when it was 80 degrees!

The sleeveless dresses etc. will be fine...just take a light wrap just in case. In our situation, the ship (Mercury) was kept rather warm inside...felt much warmer at night in the Dining Room than on a Caribbean Cruise where they have A/C going full blast. We constantly felt like we were going from temperature extremes (chilly/cold/windy on deck....warm inside) kept pullng those layers on and off!

When I say I overpacked, I mean it!!! In addition to a large suitcase on wheels and a couple of carry-ons, my husband and I brought this HUGE rolling duffle full of shoes and winter clothes. Actually, it was so large that people were talking about us and pointing at how big the bag was! A friend loaned us this (we won't use it again!)....when we checked into the airline, we were told they would have to weigh it...it was overweight by 6 lbs...(in case anyone is wondering, there is a 70 lb. limit!) We tipped the guy well and he suggested we take some things out and put them in a garment box which he got for us. Later in the trip we purchased another inexpensive carry-on to make it home. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson and will really cut down next time. (by the way, this was my 4th cruise, so I'm not exactly a rookie....first time in Alaska though and I wanted to "be prepared" for anything!)
Old June 23rd, 2002, 07:17 PM
DeniseToAlaska

Final packing results:

4 pr Jeans
1 pr Shorts
4 T-shirts
2 sweater shirts
1 FORMAL outfit
5 dresses (we're going to dress for dinner darnit!)
1 pr slacks w/lace shirt
2 sweaters
1 coat
1 pr gloves
5 pr shoes + worn shoes

Various and sundry

And it all fit in one suitcase and one small carryon. Granted, it was a big suitcase...

Denise
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Cruise Attire

Denise,
Whatever you do, make sure your coat has a hood! I was the type that spent alot of time on deck at the front of the ship, wildlife watching. You sound like that type, too...from what i read in your other post. It gets FREEZING up there! The wind really gets you. It can be so warm outside in the middle of the ship and then you get to the very front and it can really whip into you! You will love being up there in the front where you can't miss anything and are the first to see stuff!
Old June 25th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Shanon

Hi Everyone - THANKS so much for all the info. I am so glad to see you ladies are taking summer stuff TOO!!! I just figured, there is no way that Alaska can not get warm enough to wear short sleeves, capri's, etc. to dinners and shorts during the day when you are going ashore and like stated 80 degrees in Juneau lately that shorts and summer stuff can't be worn. I certainly am going to give it a try and Denise, thanks also for the packing list. A big help!! I lay stuff out and then take away and put back, oh it is a riot, driving my husband nuts!!!!! Just can't wait to go!! 3 weeks from today. How about all of you, when are you going?? Happy cruising and enjoy!! Shanon
Old June 25th, 2002, 09:27 PM
DeniseToAlaska

We're going TOMORROW, and the weather forecast is not good, but with the heat today in CA, I'll take it.

It's rainy and 50's with chances of rain all till Monday in most parts of the cruise.

Got my hooded jacket, but I'm sure I'll end up buying rain gear there. After hearing about the 80's in Juneau I decided to skip it. Then this morning I went to look for myself at weather.com. Not good! I still kept my shorts in there, who knows.

I hope you have fantastic weather!

Denise
Old June 25th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Shanon,

The air conditioning on some cruise ships can be chilly, particularly if you end up sitting right under a duct either in the dining room or in the theater. If so, you'll be a lot more comfortable with a shawl or a wrap than without -- especially if your dress has an open back!. If the weather is not too cold, you might want to step out on deck for a breath of fresh air before or after the show, where a wrap or a shawl would be most wlecome if the evening is on the cool side, as it usually is in Alaska.

Actually, I have met some women who said that they usually bring one basic dress (usually black) with a couple wraps to give it a different look for the two formal nights. They thought that such a strategy simplified packing.

For casual evenings, sweaters are fine.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Pat Darling

Default Star 7/27/2002

Some of you out there have already gone on your cruise this season so tell me, what was the attire for the evenings? Did you see many capri pants, ladies?? Will short sleeve summer things be fine or would it be to cool? Just not sure just what to pack yet. I have the casual warm clothes for the day but night time, not so sure. Got the hubby pretty much figured out but as for myself - still pondering!! My dresses for the formal nights have no backs so wondering if I should get a wrap. Any info would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!!
Old June 26th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Laura J

I wore capri pants on a casual night and they were fine....Short sleeve things were fine; just bring a lightweight sweater to throw on if you get chilly. As I've mentioned before, the inside of the Mercury was comfortable (warmer then I expected)...if I stepped outside at night, I needed a sweater or shawl, but inside I didn't need a top layer most of the time. To me, the Caribbean ships are cooler inside at night due to the air conditioning.