Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2002, 08:07 PM
kenneth gaddis

Default upgrade

we were confirmed fora catagory BE on the caribe deck on sea princess then upgraded to a BB catagory on the aloha deck, can anyone tell me the difference and why this is considered an upgrade, we sail august 3rd out of vancouver, round trip, first cruise ....... thank you
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: upgrade

cant help ou with the question but we also sail out of vanc on the 3th hal zaandam
lets have a first drink to smooth seas and a great time

Old June 28th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Shar

kenneth,
I believe it just has to do with the location. Depending on the actual room number, I wouldn't bet that (in our perspective) there's any difference. Hopefully you'll get a response from the Cruisemate experts!

Shar
Old July 1st, 2002, 07:09 PM
Yeoman

We were upgraded from BD to BB on August 5 Sun Princess. I was told that the openings are larger on Baja and Aloha than on the Caribe deck so you have a better (bigger) view from inside the cabin.

Also -- we have been on Sea Princess in an inside cabin on Aloha. There's a really nice seating area on the very back of that deck, so when you want to lay in the sun if it's warm, or to see something on the other side, ir's a convenient and not very crowded place to go.
Old July 4th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Kenneth,

"... can anyone tell me the difference and why this is considered an upgrade, ..."

Location, location, and location.

If you look at the deck plans of most ships, you will notice that cabins of a particular category are generally located (1) fore and aft on one deck, and (2) amidships on the next lower deck. The cabins located amidships on the higher of the two decks usually are the next higher category and the cabins located fore and aft on the lower of the two decks usually are the next lower category, even though the actual cabins are physically identical. Exceptions may arise, though, if the cabins on a lower deck have more space, a larger balcony, or some other difference that makes them more desirable.

The fact that cabins located physically higher in the ship are a higher category than cabins located lower in the ship is a carry-over from the days of the classic ocean liners, which had very few cabins located at or above the decks where the public spaces were. On those ships, the cabins on the upper decks were legitimately closer to most of the activities and public areas. On modern cruise ships, though, the public spaces are divided between a lower area with the Promenade Deck and the atrium (or atria if a ship has more than one) and the topside area where you find the swimming pools, the fitness center, and the lido buffet, and most of the cabins are on several decks between these two areas. On these ships, location does not seem as important since most passengers are going up and down about equally often when leaving their cabins. Nonetheless, the fare structure has not changed.

Norm.