Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Default How's the weather?

Anyone recently back from Alaska? Looks like the weather is kind of crummy? What's it really like?
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2002, 10:53 PM
judie

Default Re: How's the weather?

We just got back from the Infinity 6/28.The weather was unbelivable.Juneau,a little on the cool side but only a sprinkling of rain.Skayway was sunny all day,temp about 60,not bad at all.Ketchikan was wonderful.Most of the day we walked aroung in a short sleeve t-shirt.Very rough seas when we left Ketchikan.many people sick.The water didn't look so bad,no realy high waves or swells,it was like the water was swirling.From what I heard,even some staff members were ill.any questions,feel free to e-mail me.
Old July 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM
Shanon

Judie - did most people have the patches with them for the sea sickness or did Bonine or Dramamine do the trick?
Old July 1st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: How's the weather?

Shanon,
I took the patch for a week and I had the worst time when I took it off. I was dizzy (I swear) for almost 2 weeks afterwards. I know I have to be an anomaly. (I usually am. heh), but that is the last time I will ever use the patch! I was even dizzy with it on, too. Thank God I am normal now. I got back on June 10th. whew.
Old July 1st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Shanon

SueZ - glad to hear you are feeling better!! I am going to take my chances with Dramamine or Bonine. I appreciate the info. Alot of people say the patch works great but I am with you - it would be me that would feel the way you did. Dizzy is not good!! The last time we cruised(first trip) I only got a little sickish the first few hours on the ship when it started moving but after getting my "sea legs" I was fine. Hopefully, this time it will be like that - don't know how it feels when it is swirly instead of waves. Thanks for the info and glad to hear you are feeling much better.
Old July 1st, 2002, 09:44 PM
judie

Default Re: Re: How's the weather?

We always take bonine along just in case.My husband has never even gotten queazy.I rarely do.Sailing out of Ketchican we had some very unusual weather.the captain announced,right before sailing,that we would encounter very rough seas and to be sure to use hand rails and caution.As a precaution I tooke Bonine,very glad I did.Many people missing from the dining room.My sis-in-law got very ill,a first for her.I heard even crew members where ill.There wer not high waves or swells,but the water was swirling,almost like rapids....very strange but it only lasted for a few,very unsettling hours
Old July 2nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
Shanon

Judie - what did you do in Ketchikan?? Curious, is it a easily walked town or should we plan a tour? Just haven't made plans for that port yet - just wondering what you found to do or interesting? All we have planned ahead to do is the Orca whale watch with Capt. Larry and we will do the white pass train in Skagway but other than that will play by ear. We arn't the type to buy tickets ahead, excursions tend to be more expensive in Alaska to would like to check out the weather first. How about you - did you plan alot ahead and what are some of the excursions you chose? Helps to hear from a "fresh from the sea" cruiser!! Ha! Ha! Thanks for any info.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 06:14 PM
Shar

Shanon,
I'm not Judie, but can answer your question about the town. Ketchikan is right there, when you get off the ship. It's on the side of a hill, so you have to do alot of up-hill walking. The stores are right next to the port and it's a very pleasant walk to the Totem Museum. The Lumberjack show is a stone's throw away, as is Creek Street. On the dock, you'll see a building that houses different tour guides. My favorite last time (being budget-minded) was the Amphibious Bus Tour. Great fun and the best deal for your $$.

Shar
Old July 2nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Shanon

Thanks Shar for the info, appreciate it. I am reading that alot of tour guides are right near the docks in the different ports so it makes it nice especially being more of a "play it by ear" kind of people, if you know what I mean. I am also budget-minded. Don't mind spending for a nice tour but wouldn't want to be one of those that has a sightseeing tour paid for (300 +/-) and find that it is a foggy/rainy day with not much to be seen. Guess we are more conservative that way. Thanks again!!
Old July 2nd, 2002, 11:00 PM
pobodysnerfect

Default judie...

what ship were you on that you experienced such rough seas?
Old July 8th, 2002, 09:36 PM
judie

Default Re: judie...

Re question about the ship on rough seas...We were on the Inifnity and I would love to hear from someone else that was on the ship for that sailing.The sea was weird...never been though anything quite like that....