Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Dennis Lihte

Default Formal nights for Kids

We will be on the Sea Princess on the 13th of July. The boys are 10 and 12. Do they need to be as formal as the adults. I would hate to go out and buy clothes for the boys that they will rarely use. Dennis
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: Formal nights for Kids

Hi Dennis. I haven't talked to you in awhile.
I am also leaving on July 13th on the Ocean Princess with my two teen grandchildren. My grandchild Kenny is 16yrs old and he doesn't want to dress up in a suit. He is going to wear dressy slacks, white shirt, tie, and a sweater for formal night. I think it is a waste of money to buy boys suits just because they outgrow them so fast. Plus, my grandchild doesn't want to dress up.
We are flying on Alaska air and arriving at 10a.m. in Vancouver. I plan to walk to the Gaslight District and China Town. You can get a simple map of Vancouver at one of the hotels. My ship is leaving from Canada Place.
Check your papers to see what pier you will be leaving from. I may go on a city bus ride for a $2 Canadian coin. Tell the bus driver you are Americans and they will love to talk to you and guide you on where to get off to go back to the ship. I may take the #5 bus that will take me to Robson St. I was there in May in Vancouver and I know my way around. Send me an e-mail when you get a chance. Lucy Ramirez from Los Angeles, Calif. lucia91371@yahoo.com
Old July 8th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In my opinion formal wear is not necessary for 10 and 12 year old kids. Nice pants.. and a dress shirt with a tie would be just fine!!!!
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Kenny,

I have been on ten Princess cruises, and I can tell you that the youngsers usually are dressed for formal night. It's not uncommon to see families with three or four boys, all dressed in tuxes or at least dark suits. Sorry to break the news on such short notice, but your grandson probably will stand out among hie peers onboard if he does not dress to the occasion.

Rather than buying a suit, your best bet probably is to rent tuxes for them. Tux shops around here offer "cruise" packages -- a complete tux with two shirts, a vest with a matching tie and a cummerbund with a matching tie (to create two different looks), and shoes, for $85 for adults. It probably would be cheaper for the youngsers.

Norm.
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Dennis,

On Princess, the youngsters tend to be dressed for formal night. It's actually fairly common to see families with three or four boys dressed in matching tuxes, regardless of age.

Many tuxedo shops offer "cruise" packages which provide the whole outfit, including two shirts, a cummerbund with matching tie, a vest with matching tie, and shoes for $85 for adults. The price for the boys might be somewhat less. it will be a lot cheaper than buying suits that they won't have other occasions to wear.

Norm.