Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to zbear1
Default Homer, Alaska

We are doing the Southbound cruise after staying in Denali for a couple of days and from there on to Homer for a couple of days. Questions: Has anyone stayed at Denali Cabins? Has anyone stayed at Land's End Resort in Homer? It's at the end of Homer Spit. From Homer we are renting a car and driving the four hours over to Seward and the cruise ship (HAL). The ride is supposed to be beautiful. Anything anyone can tell me about these areas will be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of getting shuttle bus ticket in Denali because then I could get on and off wherever I wanted and go quite far into the park also. Is the Cabin Dinner show worth doing? Z
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Shar

Default Re: Homer, Alaska

Hi zbear1!
Do you mean the Alaskan Cabin Night? We were amazed at how good the show was - and the food was very good and plentiful (you've got to get prepared for all that eating on the ship, after all!) The show is funny and lively with a bunch of kids who come to Denali for the summer. When I say kids, I don't mean children. They are either in college (studying performing arts) or grads who haven't found "that" full time job yet.
The script and music are worth the trip and come highly recommended!

How are you getting to Homer from Denali? Someone may disagree with me, but I find it hard to believe you can make the drive from Homer to Seward in four hours...maybe if you don't stop. :o)

Be sure to check out "Old Town" in Kenai and take a few minutes to search for whales from Beluga Point. You will want to consider buying the Milepost for mile-by-mile info on what to see along the Sterling Hwy. At the intersection of the Sterling/Seward Hwys - there is a bird viewing platform on a very beautiful lake (Tern Lake). When we were there last September, I think the salmon were scaring off the birds. At least you could do a lot of fish viewing!!

About 10 miles outside of Seward you'll find Exit Glacier. It's just a short walk from the parking lot to a great view. This is also worth the time, if you've got it!

Shar
Old July 11th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Homer, Alaska

Shar,
Thanks for the reply. This is my plan. From East Coast fly into Seattle for a couple of days sightseeing. Then fly to Anchorage and the next morning take train to Denali.
Yes, that is the show I was talking about. Sounds like good fun. After two days in Denali we are Park Busing it back to Anchorage. The following day we will fly ERA the short flight to Homer. Second day there we are taking a float plane into the Park and treking through natural surroundings (not Brooks Falls) for the day in hopes of spotting some bears. I'm not sure where I read that it was a four hour drive from Homer to Seward. I do have Milepost. If you know differently about the drive to Seward, please pass it on to me. The ship doesn't sail until 8PM (HAL Veendam) and I thought if we left Homer at 10:00am we would have no problem making it.

Do advise me if I am "dreaming" about the time it will take. The only other option we have is to fly back to Anchorage and then try to bus to Seward......which IS a 4 hr drive.
It is the only part of the trip that I am playing guessing games about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Zira
Old July 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Homer, Alaska

Zira,
There is a great review on driving from Homer to Seward on the cruise review site. I have tried to put the link below. If it doesn't work look on Cruise Reviews for the recent review of the Star Princess by Suzette. When are you going. We leave Monday for 5 days on land then southbound on the Ocean Princess. Have a great cruise.
www.cruisereviews.com/princess/Star7.htm
Joy
Old July 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Homer, Alaska

Joy.....great find.....thanks a lot. I know, I am way ahead of the game....we are sailing
Aug 3 , 2003 Obviously, I can't wait.