Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:42 PM
alaskabound

Default whale watching

I'm trying to decide on a whale watching excursion for Juneau. My options are going with the cruise line (so many options there too), going with orca, or going with portpromotions/shore excursion.com. Can anyone share with me their experiences and or recommendations? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Lorna

Default Re: whale watching

We went with Orca and had a great trip! We saw 5or 6 Humpbacks, 6 stellar sealions and lots of eagles. Happy hunting.
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: whale watching

Hi Alaskabound,
I too am Alaska bound next month and will be booking our whale watching excursion in the next week or two. Have also heard some good things about Orka, Captain Larry, here is the link to thier site so you can check that one out too:

http://www.alaskawhalewatching.com/

What ship are you going on and when?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2002, 11:35 AM
Captain

Default whale watching

I have done a whale watch from the cruise lines and from Orca Enterprises with Capt Larry. The one with Capt Larry was far superior to the one with the cruise line. FYI many of the naturalists from the cruise ships use Capt Larry.
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Default Go with Capt. Larry

Orca with Captain Larry and Jim the naturalist was great. It was the highlight of all our excursions. We saw bubble net feeding 6 times. And its cheaper than doing it through the cruise lines.
Old July 31st, 2002, 09:23 PM
Roddee

Default Re: whale watching

We just returned from our cruise, and did the whale-watching with the ships excursion as there were no openings with ORCA. They fill up very quickly, as they only take 23 passengers, as I understand. They were willing to recommend another charter, but time was getting late, and we couldn't make connections. However, our excursion was great, despite the fact that it was with a larger group. We were actually in the same spots as ORCA and got just as good a view, and pictures as well. They may have a better naturalist, however. Ours was ok, but could have been a bit more informative. We saw 4 whales, plus bald eagles, porpoise and stellar seals. So, if you are unable to book with ORCA, chances are you will have a decent trip with the ship excursion too.
Old August 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Default Orca

I'm trying to decide on a whale watching excursion for Juneau. My options are going with the cruise line (so many options there too), going with orca, or going with portpromotions/shore excursion.com. Can anyone share with me their experiences and or recommendations? Thanks.

Be advised that Port Promotions is a middle man and doesn't run the tours. They will probably be booking you on Orca or Dolphin. I greatly prefer to deal direct to get the information and times I want. Allen Marine- the ship contractor has very fast boats and most always exellent sightings. I have gone with both Orca and Dolphin as my preference is for unobstructive viewing and few passengers. I have always and sailed with Larry and JEFF???