Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Yeoman

Default Eagle preserve

I've seen several posts saying that the trip to the Eagle preserve was disappointing. What was the problem with it?
Also, we are doing the cruisetour with Royal Caribbean in August. Does anyone have any recommendations for the optional tours on the land portion?
Only 3 weeks until we leave. I can't wait!! Any oter advice from anyone would be appreciated. Any feedback on trips on the Legend of the Seas?
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Eagle preserve

My husband & I (both in our 40s) went on the Legend Northbound May 31, 2002 and loved everything about the ship. If you have any questions, just ask. We didn't take a cruise tour although many people on this cruise did. NEXT time we go to Alaska we will!

We also stopped for a short time at the Raptor Center on our excursion in Sitka and we enjoyed it. It was interesting but isn't necessary to spend a long time there.
Old August 5th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default Haines

I've seen several posts saying that the trip to the Eagle preserve was disappointing. What was the problem with it?

Also, we are doing the cruisetour with Royal Caribbean in August. Does anyone have any recommendations for the optional tours on the land portion?

Only 3 weeks until we leave. I can't wait!! Any oter advice from anyone would be appreciated. Any feedback on trips on the Legend of the Seas?

I believe Haines is a port stop for your ship???? A lot of people do not realize that it is a 45 min transfer from Skagway. I have been to Haines twice and like the remote and non touristy area. Most of the float trips see only eagles and I was told by an operator that only 25% of the trips see other wildlife- which may be a disappointment if you are expecting it. There are bear viewing tours via Dolly Varden, but I like going on the Yeshua tours. Most important on your land tour is to get the Tundra Wildlife tour included in your package if you are interested in wildlife viewing. If you happen to be on the Natural History tour- this is worthless only going in 17 miles. Consider a change. You will probably have few options on a the land tour as they usually are intense. My top recommendation is a summit flight of McKinley as it is seldem viewable from the ground. I alway go out of Talkeetna. What does your tour include and areas?