Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2002, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Default Switching rooms

My travel agent goofed when she booked my cabin and another couple's cabin. She switched the room numbers. How difficult will it be to get this changed on board or at check in? We won't be arriving together, however. I understand that the sail and sign cards are also used as id on board. Can we just switch cards?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Switching rooms

Hi Julie,
When is your Alaska cruise, if you have a few weeks, I'd certainly have the travel agent straighten it out with the cruiseline before you cruise. Don't think switching cards is a good idea, you will have to have a credit card that your sign/sail card will be charged to. If you can't get this fixed before the cruise, make sure when you embark that they can change the cabins and have the correct cards for those cabins.

Good luck and enjoy your Alaska cruise, only 35 days and we too will be cruising in Alaska!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 26th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Yeoman

Default switching rooms

Julie:
I am a travel agent. If your travel agent made this mistake, she is responsibel for correcting it. There is very little chnace that the cruise line will switch you when you check in. Did you both pay the same price and are you in the same category? If not, then you have a real problem. If you need any additional advice, let me know.

My travel agent goofed when she booked my cabin and another couple's cabin. She switched the room numbers. How difficult will it be to get this changed on board or at check in? We won't be arriving together, however. I understand that the sail and sign cards are also used as id on board. Can we just switch cards?
Old July 27th, 2002, 11:00 AM
DeniseToAlaska

Default Re: switching rooms

If there's no time to get you new documents, your TA needs to at least call and have them change the manifest.

If there's not even time to call and have them change the manifest, the four of you need to go to the Purser's Desk and see if they can fix it.

Do not (I repeat, do not) just switch cards. There is a digital photo stored with your card as well as your credit card info.

Denise
Old July 27th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Switching rooms

Julie,

"Just switching rooms" on your own -- by swapping cruise cards -- is begging for trouble.

>> On embarkation day, the ship will deliver your luggage to the cabin where you are registered rather than to the cabin where you are.

>> Your cruise card is "wired" to your credit card. If you swap cruise cards, your shipboard accounts will go to the wrong credit card bills.

>> The cruise line will deliver tickets for prebooked excursions, special occasion packages, gifts from your travel agent, etc., to the cabin in which you are registered. If you swap, you get theirs and they get yours.

>> As another poster noted, there are pictures in the ship's security system that are associated with your cruise card. If you swap cruise cards, you're sure to run into trouble when you return to the ship in a port of call.

>> If the ship receives notification of an emergency at home to pass along ot you, the purser's staff will leave the message in the cabin for which you are registered. We hope that there's no emergency at home while you're away, but confusion when the staff can't find you could make a difficult situation much worse.

This is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

If your travel agent can't straighten this out before your departure, arrange to meet the other couple somewhere aboard ship and go together to the purser's desk. Explain to the purser's representative that your travel agent crossed your cabins in the reservation system and ask the staff to swap you. If both couples go together, they probably will honor the request.

And if the travel agent can't straighten it out or won't try, you might want to find another travel agent. The travel agent should be able to straighten this out with one telephone call to the cruise line's headquarters.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Re: Switching rooms

Dido!!!! Your WHOLE identity on that cruise ship is YOUR sign and sail card so definately listen to all the above and do not switch your cards!! You will be very sorry in the end. It definately would put a dark cloud over your vacation. It is your TA responsibility to get her error straightened out. Enjoy your trip!!