Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default Alaska next - Help me out

Booking for Alaska next. Taking my 83 yr old grandmother. I'm 38, my parents are going (60's), and a couple other family members in their 30's. No kids this time. Please help me if you can with suggestions of cruise ships. Carnival is a little too wild for Gram, and I can't afford the really expensive ships. We do want plenty of activities, just geared down a bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2002, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Alaska next - Help me out

Princess has a wide selection and is understated elegance. You will be able to find Princess cruises priced similarly to Carnivals. In fact, we just returned and were on the Sea Princess. The Carnival ship with a comparable time frame was actually priced HIGHER than Princess!
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Alaska next - Help me out

Hi Julie,
We are going to Alaska soon on Celebrity Infinity, so can't really tell you anything about this one, but as Joy mentioned, Princess does Alaska well, they have been doing a wonderful job up there for years. You may also want to check out RCCL, they have a few ships up there as well. I would say, look and see exactly where you want to stop, doing a one way, either north or south or a round trip and then decide from there according to the ships that do the itinary that you want.

Sounds like a great family cruise for you all :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 1st, 2002, 03:17 AM
Therese

Default Carnival...

Hi

we are in our 30's and recently went on the Carnival Spirit...we were easily one of the youngest couples there. Most of the travellers were middled aged to aged. Many were celebrating 5oth wedding anniversaries etc. They were far from "wild"
Old August 1st, 2002, 08:29 AM
DeniseToAlaska

Default Re: Alaska next

The Carnival Spirit is a new look for Carnival. No neon, very classy. And our Alaska cruise was not a party ship, wasn't wild in the least. A lot of families, ranging from with kids to some celebrating 50th's also.

I've done some pricing for next year, since we're doing a family trip there this time, and Carnival's prices for balcony rooms just can't be beat. If they can, someone tell me the secret. We spent so much time on our balcony, I couldn't imagine going to Alaska without one now!

I've heard Princess is excellent if you can afford it. If you can't, give the Spirit a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and neither will your grandmother.

Denise
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:21 AM
smconger

Nobody does it better than Holland America! The food is excellent, and the service is the best around.

Steve
Old August 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Shar

Just to add to the confusion, everyone above is correct. Princess, Holland America, the newer Carnival ships, and Celebrity are all awesome.

Most importantly, you need to decide on your itinerary.

Do you want to fly in and out of the same airport or do an open jaw type arrangement (eg fly into Anchorage and out of Vancouver)??

What towns do you want to visit?

Do you want to spend time touring Alaska in a bus or just get off the ship in ports?

Do you want to see glaciers or just the inside passage?

Once you've come to decisions, you'll be able to narrow down your choices.

Shar
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:08 PM
Passenger

My family is booked on Princess later this month. We got a very good deal on our balcony. I think you just have to watch for the deals and when they come out, be prepared to act. Although, the longer you wait in the season the better the deals.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 06:45 PM
Shar

In the case of the Regal Princess, (at least for the cruise I'm on) it was sold out for the Sept 6th cruise back in March.. Rooms did open up in June at double the price we paid for the same category stateroom.

Shar
Old August 3rd, 2002, 10:42 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska next - Help me out

Amen to all who voted Carnival Spirit!! Couldn't be further from a party boat on this cruise!! Lots of elderly people on board. We are in our early 40's. The older folks were having a grand ole time and no, there was no partying going on!! Hope you have a great time!!
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Lorna

Default RE:Re:RE:Alaska next

Booking for Alaska next. Taking my 83 yr old grandmother. I'm 38, my parents are going (60's), and a couple other family members in their 30's. No kids this time. Please help me if you can with suggestions of cruise ships. Carnival is a little too wild for Gram, and I can't afford the really expensive ships. We do want plenty of activities, just geared down a bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

We are in our 40's and went with the senior adults from our church. We had a great time and so did the seniors. There is something for every age on Royal Carribean International. We really liked it and everyone that went with us haven't stopped talking about it. Good hunting.
Old August 6th, 2002, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: RE:Re:RE:Alaska next

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Julie
Old August 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Default Carnival

For clairfication- there are NO party ships in Alaska. and you will find most passengers similar on ALL lines, with majority middle aged and above. More important in my opinion- is to choose based on ports, time in ports and glacier.