Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default Illness on Alaska Cruises

I am seeing some reports on a outbreak of Norwalk Virus on Holland America.

Any reports on illnesses on other ships?

We leave for Alaska next week and I'm concerned. Any special precautions?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Illness on Alaska Cruises

Bill,
The Ryndam was taken out of service for this week because of what appears to be a Norwalk like virus. The ship return to Vancouver with about 30% of the passenges reporting illness during the cruise. There is an article about it at www.canada.com There have been 3 reports of sperate incidents around the Vancouver area, one at a summer camp and another on a train and from what I have found on the web it's fairly common in the pacific north west. Infact earlier this spring Princess Cruise lines had the same problem.

Bruce
Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Illness on Alaska Cruises

Hi Bill,
Yes, have been reading that as well and am a little concerned myself, still have 4 weeks to wait, but sure don't wan to be sick while I am up there. Please post any new news and I will do the same.

Have a wonderful cruise, want to hear all about it when you return, thanks.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 4th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Kenny C.A.

Default Re: Re: Re: Illness on Alaska Cruises

Hi Bill. I was on the Ocean Princess in July 13th. They had the virus problem in June. I was really concerned so I asked one of my psychic friend what could be causing the problem? She said to stay away from lettuce, pork, raw shell fish. Cooked fish was okay.

I instructed my grandchildren not to eat the salads and stay away from the salad bar. When you get on your cruise ship you will notice that some foods are kept out toooo long in the buffets. Also, think about all the people who touch the serving spoons without washing their hands. Some cruise lines are starting to serve the passengers in the buffets. That will help in stopping the virus from being spread I think. I also took little bottles of stuff to kill germs on your hands before you eat.
Take pepto bismol to coat your stomach if you should feel ill. My doc says it cleans out the germs from your stomach. Use your own cabin bathroom as much as possible. Drink cold drinks out of straws. In fact, I carried my own thermos drinking mug. My dinner waitress never asked me about my mug. I was drinking rum and coke from my frig.. If I ordered a drink I would put it in my mug just because I enjoyed carrying my drinkie mug with me everywhere I went. I finally lost it on the last day of my cruise. When I got on the Grandview train from Seward to Anchorage I bought me another thermos mug..
We all came home healthy. I have learned in my travels since the 1970's to play it safe. If I think a certain food is not safe to eat I will not eat it. For example, I was served cheesecake that was warm and not cold so I didn't eat it. Cold food should be cold and hot food should be hot.
Old August 10th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Passenger

Default re: illness on Alaska cruise

I am seeing some reports on a outbreak of Norwalk Virus on Holland America.

Any reports on illnesses on other ships?

We leave for Alaska next week and I'm concerned. Any special precautions?

Bil

We just returned from Alaska ( Celebrity's Infinity) -- we heard that whatever Holland American tour was supposed to leave Vancouver on 8/2 had been cancelled because of a viral illness among the crew. All passengers were notified, and the ship supposedly quarantined.
At the buffets on Infinity, the crew does the serving. I even saw wait staff chide passengers for trying to pick up serving utensils and serve themselves. (I'm sort of glad they do this, as I get a liitle queasy thinking of almost 2000 people serving themselves at the buffets)