Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2002, 09:01 PM
Yeoman

Default Land tours

Has anyone done the cruisetours? Any suggestions for the optional excursions on land? We leave next Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Land tours

Where are you going???? Unfortunately some land tours have little unplanned time. Best you can do however is to check and make sure you have the "tundra wildlife" tour included to Denali Park and not the useless "natural history" big difference between the 2 little if any wildlife on the natural history and only 17 miles into the park vs 53 on the tundra wildlife. Do get it changed for far greater wildlife viewing if interested. Also plan on the free sled dog demo offered 3 time/ day?? Very interesting and free. Also some great ranger activities. If in Talkeetna definately take a summit flight since this will probably be your only opportunity to see McKinley. Myself, I will never take another cruisetour.
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Land tours

Karen:
We do have the tundra wildlife tour. Which line did you go on and what was the problem-not that I have any time to change anything as we leave Saturday.
Old August 10th, 2002, 02:25 PM
pianobaby

Default Seward to Anchorage?

Hello,

Has anyone taken a private trip/tour/ride back to the airport from seward with a few stops along the way?

The excursions are booked and we wanted to see some sights for a few hours rather than take the transfer direct to the airport.
THanks
Old August 15th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Seward to Anchorage?

In my opinion there is no need to take a "private tour" as it is extremely easy to just go on your own. I understand the train is not an option?? so I would rent a car and tour that way.
Old August 15th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default land tours

Karen:

We do have the tundra wildlife tour. Which line did you go on and what was the problem-not that I have any time to change anything as we leave Saturday.

I will only say- traveling with a group on a fixed schedule in Alaska is just not for me. The cost was outragous for what little "real Alaska" you get and I do now indeed see and do twice as much for 1/2 the cost.
Old August 16th, 2002, 05:00 PM
tetons

Default Re: land tours

Do the white rapids raft tour the evening you get there if going to Denali for your first night. We had so much fun. We usually do only the float rafting trips but we tried this one and it was a blast. We had all ages on our raft. We are in our 40's, but there were 60 somethings and 70 somethings on ours and we had a blast. You just hold on to each other and enjoy the ride. The raft rides at amusements parks are much rougher than this one. They have you very bundled up in wet suits so you do not get wet.

We also did the Natural History 8 hour bus ride. We were somewhat disappointed in the amount of wildlife we saw. It is all in pure luck. The 3 hour bus tour that left right after ours saw more wildlife than we did. But they missed the huge mountain ranges. As our driver said they just saw the driveway of Denali National park.
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: land tours

For clairfication the "8 hour tour" is the Tundra Wildlife and the 3 hour is the Natural history. I am puzzeled that one bus leaving right after another saw different sightings??? They are on the same road- one goes in farther than the other and you will often get cooperation and and several buses viewing the wildlife. A significant enhancement is taking the first bus out on the SHUTTLE- excellent wildlife viewing. I always go to at least Eielson visitor center- the tour buses don't go this far. Be sure to realize and research- there are 2 buses- tour and shuttle and various lengths in.
Old September 14th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Candi Kaufman

Default cruise or cruise tour?

Has anyone done the cruisetours? Any suggestions for the optional excursions on land? We leave next Saturday.
Old September 14th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: cruise or cruise tour?

Definitely do Captain Larry's Orca Whale watching in Juneau. Also, take the bus out to Mendenhal Glacier and go to the viewing area to look for the bears. The K2 avaition flights in Talkeetna are great as well. My dogsledding trip in Skagway was fogged out, which was a major disapointment. We also did the fly over the Arctic Circle optional tour in Fairbanks where we visited the village of Weisman-it was really interesting!!!
Have a great time in Alaska. It's like nowhere else.