Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Slav

Default Cruise attire

What is the temperature like on board during the day and at night? Will it be warm enough to wear shorts during the day for walking around inside and on deck? Is it necessare to bring heavy coat along or is dressing in layers adequate for on board and shore excursion? Please advise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Cruise attire

The temp on board inside is warm, no air conditioning felt to get chilly by. We ran our air conditioning in our cabin every night as it would get warm without it we felt. We was on board July 17-24 and yes, there were people wearing shorts both inside and out. It was 55-65 most of the time even tho we had damp rainy weather for the whole week. Only saw a peak of the sun briefly for one afternoon but did not stop the fun or sights. Don't forget to take wind pants, they just seem to be the item that feels the best. Tee-shirts, a couple pairs of shorts and sweatshirts are a must. You didn't mention when you were going but we definately did not need a heavy coat. We took a lightweight fleece jacket and never put it on. Tee-shirts,sweatshirt and once in a while rain coat was what we wore the whole trip. Jeans a few times but mostly wind pants. They are so comfortable as you will be walking alot. If I can be of any more help, just let me know. Have a great trip!! You are going to love Alaska, it is beautiful!! Enjoy!!
Old August 6th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Cruise attire

Shannon:
Thanks for the tip on the wind pants. What about shoes? What do you think is best to take?
Old August 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Shanon

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise attire

Linda make sure you take your good sneakers. Something comfortable as you will do alot of walking and sandles for the ship. Also I forgot to mention I wore capris alot on the ship at night and a if it is sunny and nice you will be very comfortable in them on shore as well if you are just walking around but wind pants were the best! They are so comfortable. Believe it or not the ship was very warm at night walking around it inside so summer clothes and sandles were very comfortable. It is so casual in Alaska you can where whatever you like. We was told that jeans are considered a man's tuxedo in Alaska. I thought that was funny! When are you going? Have a great time!!
Old August 7th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise attire

Slav,

What is the temperature like on board during the day and at night? Will it be warm enough to wear shorts during the day for walking around inside and on deck? Is it necessare to bring heavy coat along or is dressing in layers adequate for on board and shore excursion? Please advise. Thanks.

The entire ship, of course, is climate controlled and generally pretty comfortable, but you might want some sort of sweater, jacket, or wrap to wear to dinner in case you end up seated under an air conditioning outlet or in case you decide to step out on deck in the evening.

The weather in Alaska's inside passage tends to be cool and wet, and most of the islands are natural rain forests. The [i] average [/] high temperatures are in the mid-60's for the months of July and August. Of course, you could get some days that are abnormally warm (70's or even 80's) or abnormally cool (50's or even 40's). Evenings and early mornings probably will be considerably cooler.

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Default re: cruise attire

If you get the slightest bit chilly normally, take warm clothes. We were lucky in having temps in the 70s in Juneau & Skagway, but were comfortable in short sleeve shirts and long pants. The temps at night call for long pants. We did see many people walking around in shorts during the day, even on the colder days. The temp on the boat sort of depends on where you are -- if you are near the doors or on the outside decks, it can be very cool because of the wind. I would err on the side of caution and take more cool weather clothes than warm weather ones. The weather in Ketchikan was cold & rainy; the weather when we cruised Hubbard Glacier was windy and downright uncomfortable!
Old August 15th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default temps

As a many time Alaska visitor, I have never taken a winter coat, my removable lined lightweight nylon jacket is perfect for me, I also always take a knit hat and gloves. I never take jeans and have been taking lined and unlined wind pants for a few years. Rain gear is a must and 2 pair of walking shoes.
Old August 15th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default re: cruise attire

So what about dining? Were the formal nights really formal? Plus other than the formal night(s?) did you dress up a little for dinner?

Nan
Old August 18th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Shanon

Default Re: re: cruise attire

Nan, we cruised with Carnival Spirit and yes formal nights seemed pretty formal to me. Other nights were casual attire just not shorts or jeans in the dining room. Next cruise we are going for the "free style cruising" with NCL or Princess. Want to give that a try. We tend to be the type of people to dress nice but casual. But, it was fun and people do look nice. Depends on what you like.
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Default attire

So what about dining? Were the formal nights really formal? Plus other than the formal night(s?) did you dress up a little for dinner?

Nan

Yes there was a dress code that others hopefully followed, jackets for men, dress slacks/top or dresses for ladies. There is always room service and the altern. dining for those who don't.