Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2002, 03:15 AM
First Mate

Default Juneau/Sitka/Ketchikan

I'm going on the inside passage cruise at the end of the month and would like to have some suggestions about "must-take" excursions or places to see at Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. Are there combined dogsled-helicopter rides at these locations? I already have ORCA in Juneau on my short list :-)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Juneau/Sitka/Ketchikan

Hi Jean,
We are also doing Orka in Juneau, heard that was a must see. WE also are signed up for the White Pass train in Skagway, have heard some good things about that as well, here is the link, although I ended up booking directly with Celebrity, due to the fact that on this site it states that cruise passengers need to book with the cruiseline, it was only a $10 difference, so this is something to think about:

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/

What ship will you be on and when? Only 3 weeks and we will be on Infinity!!!
We still don't have plans for Ketchikan, except my husband want to get on a fishing tour once we dock, think it will be some shopping for me :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Juneau/Sitka/Ketchikan

In Juneau, the canoe trip to the Mendenhall Glacier is awesome.

Here's a pic from the tour company, and they don't even show the waterfall right next to it where you stop and have snacks.

http://www.goldbelttours.com/Images/...ion/canoe1.jpg
Old August 9th, 2002, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Default Re: (comments)

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going on Mercury on the 25th. Looking forward to it.
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Harry F

Default Re: Re: (comments)

Hi Jean,

My wife and I are also sailing on the Merc. on 8-25. You are the 1st person we've run into that's on our ship. If you would like to email me, I would be glad to tell you about the different excursions etc. We have been doing our homework since January.

Harry
Old August 21st, 2002, 09:54 PM
Jo Anne

Default Re: Re: Re: (comments)

Hello,
I was on the Mercury from 8/11-8/18. In Ketchikan, I did a kayaking trip--didn't get very far, we were paddling around the ships in the bay, but it was fun. We took a taxi to Mendenhall glacier, then my husband took a helicopter trek in Juneau while the rest of us chickens went with Orca. It was a glorious day--we spotted about a dozen or so whales. One took a dive right under our boat--hope my picture of its huge tail comes out well! One warning about Sitka--you have to tender to shore, which takes about 20 minutes plus waiting time to get on the tender. We were only there from 9:30-2:45. We were scheduled for a wildlife tour at 11:00, which was the original time we were supposed to arrive there. When we found out that we would have to wait ON THE SHIP until 11:00 we asked to cancel the wildlife cruise. Someone said that it was great--but we also wanted to see Sitka, and those on the cruise didn't get to see a thing. We taxied to the Raptor Center, which we enjoyed, then walked back into town to do some shopping. Hadn't shopped in either Ketchikan or Juneau, so we enjoyed our couple of hours in Sitka. Everyone agreed that we were sorry not to have more time in this pretty city. So my advise in Sitka is to get a good night's rest and try to get out on an early tender--