Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Donna D.

Default Which heli tour?

I can't choose between two helicopter tours in Juneau. There is one that goes to Taku glacier, Hole in the wall glacier, Dead branch Glacier etc. and another that says it goes to Mendenhall Glacier. I would like to know if these are all in the same area or if one is better than the other. I am booking these on line through the cruise line and there are no company names to ask for information. Also has anyone had a bad experience with any one in particular? 4 weeks to go! Thanks a bunch, Donna D.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Which heli tour?

Almost all the helicopter tours in Alaska are through ERA. http://www.eraaviation.com/hs_alaska.stm

I did the Shoup Glacier in Valdez with them, VERY neat.
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Harry F

Default Re: Re: Which heli tour?

You may also want to check out Coastal Helicopter Tours. www.coastalhelicopters.com

Harry
Old August 15th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Default helicopter

I can't choose between two helicopter tours in Juneau. There is one that goes to Taku glacier, Hole in the wall glacier, Dead branch Glacier etc. and another that says it goes to Mendenhall Glacier. I would like to know if these are all in the same area or if one is better than the other. I am booking these on line through the cruise line and there are no company names to ask for information. Also has anyone had a bad experience with any one in particular? 4 weeks to go! Thanks a bunch, Donna D.

All your tours will be with ERA except Mendenhall which will be TEMSCO. I have glacier helicopter landed 6 times and all were excellent. Glaciers are in a constant state of change and therefore unique. It won't matter, the experience will be your best of the beat. Choose who fits your schedule best.
Old August 16th, 2002, 04:47 PM
tetons

Default Skagway

I would do it in Skagway instead of Juneau. From the pictures I've seen from Junuea, I would do the in Skagway. Our pictures were incredible and there weren't so many helicopters all of the time. We were the only group on the glacier in Skagway and it was more fun.
Old August 16th, 2002, 05:04 PM
oestred

Default Re: Which heli tour?

We were in Juneau last week on the Sun Princess and did the helicopter tour with Coastal. Book it on your own for $168 per person, the cruise lines rip you off big time. It was great and the glacier was amazing.

I learned to book an afternoon flight as morning ones often get cancelled due to weather visibility (ours did) but afternoon ones usually are fine so we were able to go later in the day.

David
Old August 17th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Beginner

Default helicopter

My boss and his family took the Mendhall Glacier tour and thought it was WONDERFUL! Mendenhall is (I think) the largest in the Juneau area. You can save some money if you book with Coastal Helicopters. www.coastalhelicopters.com They
have been recommended by numerous people on cruisecritic.com. The only problem I have heard is that if the weather is bad (too windy or too rainy or too foggy --you never know in Alaska) it could be cancelled but your money will be refunded. Go for it! You won't regret it!

Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Default Junea/Skagway

I would do it in Skagway instead of Juneau. From the pictures I've seen from Junuea, I would do the in Skagway. Our pictures were incredible and there weren't so many helicopters all of the time. We were the only group on the glacier in Skagway and it was more fun.

I have to disagree- there are more tours going out of Juneau and more glaciers to land on. I have done this trip 6 times- 5 out of Juneau and 1 Skagway. I have been the only helicopter on the glaicer on 3 of the 5 Juneau trips and 1 the other helicopter was viewable but a distance away. The crowds was with the ship tour ERA. I have to respectfully ask if you also have a Juneau trip to compare?? I would recommend to book where you can make the best of your time. if you have other touring in one port go with the other- any glacier helicopter landing will be your highpoint!!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default Mendenhall glacier

My boss and his family took the Mendhall Glacier tour and thought it was WONDERFUL! Mendenhall is (I think) the largest in the Juneau area. You can save some money if you book with Coastal Helicopters. www.coastalhelicopters.com They

have been recommended by numerous people on cruisecritic.com. The only problem I have heard is that if the weather is bad (too windy or too rainy or too foggy --you never know in Alaska) it could be cancelled but your money will be refunded. Go for it! You won't regret it!

Cathy C

for clairfication the only company with landing permits for Mendenhall is TEMSCO. I would direct book, there have been a few tours I have been on where I sat right next to a higher pair cruise excursion passenger. I did not think Mendenhall was a better experience than any of the other glaciers- all are unique and in a constant state of change. go with what fits your time best.