Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Default Luggage on Land Tours and any Excursion Suggestions?

We are going on a Princess cruisetour with the land portion starting 2 Sep (before the cruise portion). I am wondering how luggage works during the land portion. Do we need a seperate bag for the entire land portion, or will we be able to access our luggage at each stop? We stay in a different hotel each night (except for two nights we spend in Copper River). Our brouchure talks about having a carry-on bag, but I am not clear on how much we need to pack in that bag.

Also, would like to hear any comments/suggestions on the tours available at the Princess' McKinley, Denali and Copper River Lodges.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Luggage on Land Tours and any Excursion Suggestions?

I have the same questions...We are on the Summit Land/Cruise tour, starting with the land part on Aug 31 (cruise on Sept 6). Not sure how to pack. We would love to put all our "cruise" clothes in one suitcase and hand it over??at the beginning of the land part. But a little nervous that we might never see it again?
Anita
Old August 15th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default tours

/>

Also, would like to hear any comments/suggestions on the tours available at the Princess' McKinley, Denali and Copper River Lodges.

Thanks!

My top choice for the Princess McKinley would be a summit flight out of Talkeetna -40 +miles away, you are unlikely to see it otherwise. There is nothing at this location but wilderness. 100+ miles north will be the Denali Princess- BE certain you have the Tundra tour if you are at all interested in seeing wildlife- very unlikely on the way too short "Natural History tour". Get it changed by paying an upgrade. Cooper river is tops for fishing but most anything else will bus you to Seward- 48 miles- an all day boat trip is excellent and filled with marine wildlife- be sure the boat tour is at least 6 hours- not including the transfer to get there and back.
Old August 16th, 2002, 04:40 PM
tetons

Default luggage on land tours

We did the land tour first in May and June. We just had our luggage all the time with us. You never know what suitcase you might need something out of. When you get to Anchorage, you will get directions on which tags to put on luggage to go to Fairbanks and which for cruise. We put just everything to Fairbanks and it met us there. You can only take what will fit under the seats on the train for the Denali part. My husband used a backpack and I used a small carryon that didn't have rollers. It worked out great for us. We still packed just one suitcase just for the cruise part that we never opened but I just wanted my luggage with me.

Hope this helps.
Old September 11th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: luggage on land tours

We were on the Star Southbound in July with a 3 night pre-cruise tour. The luggage was very confusing to us. We stayed in Faribanks first, then Denali, then Mt. McKinley, and onto the ship the next day. On your first night in the hotel, go to the Princess outfitters desk and get the required tags to "forward" our luggage. Get both tags to send either "to the ship" or "to Mt. Mckinley" or wherever. You can have it sent to your next destination or all the way to the ship if there's nothing you'll need in it (like formal clothes). Make sure you have small bags on the train!!! Not much room under the seat at all and it's one seat for 2 people!! Pack accordingly and plan to send as much all the way to the ship as you can so you don't have to "handle" it. Then you can send another a day or two ahead if you want and catch up to it on the last day (which was the long bus day for us from Mt. Mckinley to Seward!!).