Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2002, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Brandis
Default Alaska Pre-cruise tour

Last year, I participated in a group cruise from Seward to Vancouver on Carnival Spirit. Before the cruise, there was also a 3-day tour, with a panoramic dome train ride from Anchorage to Denali, with a night stop in Talkeetna at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge (what a wonderful place...) and then on to a lodge near Denali, where we emjoyed a dinner show. The next morning, we were on the first bus into Denali and in the afternoon back to Anchorage. The next day we then continued to Seward for boarding.

I'm thinking about another Alaskan cruise (preferably southbound) with some friend on a Holland America ship and doing a similiar pre-cruise tour. Is Holland America offering something like the above or would it be better to book it on my own?

Marc
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Alaska Pre-cruise tour

Almost all of the cruise lines offer a variety of precruise packages. Hollamd Amrica is bound to have one that fits the bill for you. Just pick up one of their brochures and/or have a good travel agent find the tour for you in relation to the cruise.
Old September 7th, 2002, 02:36 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Alaska Pre-cruise tour

Yes HAL does offer what you want. You can also do it on your own, with a little research, you can do it cheaper. Have a great cruise and stay awhile up here in Alaska.
Old September 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Bridget

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska Pre-cruise tour

Look at this website AskAkaskaTravel.com I spent 17 days in the Interior this summer - before my cruise- and they helped me plan everything I wanted - plus suggested a whole lot of activities and sightseeing areas I would never have known about. They even told me great areas for hiking. I wanted to try fishing, but didn't want to spend the big bucks, so they put me in a fantastic lake side cabin($135) that included free fishing rods! Good luck!
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Default tour

Last year, I participated in a group cruise from Seward to Vancouver on Carnival Spirit. Before the cruise, there was also a 3-day tour, with a panoramic dome train ride from Anchorage to Denali, with a night stop in Talkeetna at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge (what a wonderful place...) and then on to a lodge near Denali, where we emjoyed a dinner show. The next morning, we were on the first bus into Denali and in the afternoon back to Anchorage. The next day we then continued to Seward for boarding.

I'm thinking about another Alaskan cruise (preferably southbound) with some friend on a Holland America ship and doing a similiar pre-cruise tour. Is Holland America offering something like the above or would it be better to book it on my own?

Marc

3 days is way too short for any significant touring of interior Alaska, I don't recommend less than 5 days on your own or 7 on a tour. A great deal of time is spent in transit. You Denali Park tour would have been the too short Natural history tour, you need at least the Tundra wildlife and ideally the shuttle to at least Eielson. You can indeed see twice as much for 1/2 the cost going on your own- very easy to do. Necessary is a copy of THE MILEPOST, try your library. Few roads and tough to get lost.
Old September 10th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Just back

Default Re: tour

If you like wildlife, and seeing Alaska up close and personal, also check out CruiseWest. They have the combinations that you are looking for, and since they are much smaller boats, they cruise to entirely different ports.
Old October 24th, 2002, 08:40 PM
randi

Default Re: Re: tour

I visited Alaska this past summer. We traveled Northbound so for me it was a post cruise tour. The cruiseline was Carnival but the tour was booked through Holland America. I took the 2 additional night tour. It was very expensive with really very little to do. It was time and money not well spent on my part. There were only 10 people on this big bus. Apparently everyone else must of known not to book this particular tour. I enjoyed Alaska very much but this particular tour was very disappointing. So much so, I was upset with my travel agent for even for allowing me to choose this. I would have to agree with the advice to do it on your own. I learned a very expensive lesson.