CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Roundtrip vs. one-way (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/246539-roundtrip-vs-one-way.html)

Elise September 18th, 2002 09:48 PM

Roundtrip vs. one-way

We are thinking about doing an Alaska cruise next summer. My husband and I have cruised the Caribbean and the Panama Canal a few times and a few years ago we took our kids on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Sea which they loved.

What are the pros and cons of going one way vs a round trip during the Alaska cruise? Right now I'm looking at Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Sea which sails round trip from Vancouver and Diamond Princess which sails round trip from Seattle.

My kids will be 13 and 12 next summer and love the days at sea and aren't too much into real adventurous excursions.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Elise

Donna September 19th, 2002 03:22 PM

Re: Roundtrip vs. one-way

Hi Elise,
Just make sure you get a quote from the travel agent, sometime those open jaw flights can be expensive and the cruise air can be a better deal. Also see what you can find on your own and compare.

We just did our first Alaska cruise and it was round trip from Vancouver, which was nice

Karen16 October 3rd, 2002 10:13 AM

cruise

We are thinking about doing an Alaska cruise next summer. My husband and I have cruised the Caribbean and the Panama Canal a few times and a few years ago we took our kids on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Sea which they loved.

What are the pros and cons of going one way vs a round trip during the Alaska cruise? Right now I'm looking at Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Sea which sails round trip from Vancouver and Diamond Princess which sails round trip from Seattle.

My kids will be 13 and 12 next summer and love the days at sea and aren't too much into real adventurous excursions.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Elise

I would never take a one way without at least 5 days independent or 7 cruise tour, interior traveling. It is just too far and expensive in/out of Anchorage not to take advantage. I also would never go on a tour with kids- definately go on your own- you will see twice as much for less than 1/2 the cost and very very few kids on the tours. The cruise portion will have more similarities than differences, both get 3+ ports and a glacier, one ways get College Fjords as well. With any Seattle departure- your ship must make a foreign stop- Victoria, Vancouver. Look carefully at the route- some are outside Vancouver Island (difinate disadvantage) and some port times may be cut short.

Harvestmoon October 15th, 2002 10:10 AM

Re: cruise

We did a one-way to Alaska July, 2002. The only reason we went to Anchorage was because my husbands cousin lives there and we wanted to see him.

Unless you can do a land tour as well, next time I would go round trip because it cost us 710.00 per person (4 of us) to fly from Anchorage to Alberta. This was an extra 2800.00 just to fly home.

It was our choice to do it this way, most of what we seen could have been done round trip, although, Prince William Sound was beautiful. We have never seen glaciers before so we had nothing to compare it too.

Hope this helps.