Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Glaicer Bay vs Hubbard Glaicer

First time to Alaska next summer. Not all ships go to Glaicer Bay National Park. I think the other main option is Hubbard Glaicer. What do you think? GBNP or HG? I would appreciate your opinions. This also would mean which ship to book. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Glaicer Bay vs Hubbard Glaicer

Hi Sportsfan,
We were recently on Celebrity Infinity in Alaska and had a few hours in Hubbard Glacier and I think mainly, we were very lucky, there was lots of calving that day, sun was out and it was just beautiful. Have not been to Glaicer Bay, but have heard that you definitely want to see Hubbard.

I did write a review with pics at the bottom, quite a few of Hubbard if you want to take a look:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...infinity14.cfm

While there is a large selection of ship that cruise in Alaska every summer, I can't imagine a better cruise than on Infinity, great ship for Alaska, plenty of glass and windows, of course you really need to splurge and get a balcony cabin for this one. The captain will turn the ship when in Hubbard, so all sides can have a good view, we did finally get a bit chilly, so we went down to our cabin and sat on the balcony and were just in awe of what we were seeing.

Let us know what ship you do book for Alaska, oK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 25th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Shar

Hi Sportsfan!
IMHO you should opt for Glacier Bay, just because its accessibility for ships is being cut back, maybe eventually to not allow cruise ships in at all. I haven't been to Hubbard and, from all reports it's very worthwhile. We just cruised Tracy Arm and it had the most spectacular glaciers I've seen from a ship. In any case, you can't go wrong.

Shar

PS - I'd vote for Princess, but again - you'll probably get differing opinions from every poster.
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Glaicer Bay vs Hubbard Glaicer

Shar,

IMHO you should opt for Glacier Bay, just because its accessibility for ships is being cut back, maybe eventually to not allow cruise ships in at all.

The cut-back in permits to enter Glacier Bay National Park this year occurred because a group of environmentalist extremists sued to block an increase in the number of permits that the National Park Service issued. The court found that the National Park Service had failed to follow proper procedure (which apparently require an environmental impact statement and public hearings) before raising the number of permits, and conseqeuntly ordered the National Park Service to withdraw permits in excess of the previous level until it followed the procedural requirements. I understand that the National Park Service is now following the proper procedures to issue more permits for next year.

Norm.
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Sportsfan,

Glacier Bay National Park clearly seems to be the preferred destination, at least according to all the literature, and the destination that cruise lines vie to serve.

That said, the most spectacular glaciers of all are the glaciers in College Fjord, which is a destination of most of the cruises that cross the Gulf of Alaska.

FWIW, I second Shar's recommendation of Princess Cruises as the cruise line of choice in Alaska. Princess's tour division operates their own tours, which probably are not available on other lines, in several of the ports of call. Princess also operates lodges, which usually are the only premium lodging in the vicinity, in areas where upscale hotels simply are not available and thus has first dibs on these facilities if you are considering a cruise-tour option.

Norm.
Old September 29th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Beginner

Default Hubbard Glaicer

Hi Sportsfan,

We were recently on Celebrity Infinity in Alaska and had a few hours in Hubbard Glacier and I think mainly, we were very lucky, there was lots of calving that day, sun was out and it was just beautiful. Have not been to Glaicer Bay, but have heard that you definitely want to see Hubbard.

I did write a review with pics at the bottom, quite a few of Hubbard if you want to take a look:

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...infinity14.cfm

While there is a large selection of ship that cruise in Alaska every summer, I can't imagine a better cruise than on Infinity, great ship for Alaska, plenty of glass and windows, of course you really need to splurge and get a balcony cabin for this one. The captain will turn the ship when in Hubbard, so all sides can have a good view, we did finally get a bit chilly, so we went down to our cabin and sat on the balcony and were just in awe of what we were seeing.

Let us know what ship you do book for Alaska, oK?

Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 29th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Hubbard Glaicer

Sorry, My name go in with Donna`s reply.

I was on Holland America`s Amsterdam the same da y Donna was there on the Infinity. Yes, It was a beautifull day. People were swimming in the aft pool as we left Auk Bay. The Amsterdam is also a beautiful ship. We had a Mini Suite with a veranda, which is the way to go. Hubbard Glaicer is AWSOM. The whole cruise to Alaska is one great experience. The service on the Amsterdam was 1st class.
Old October 1st, 2002, 01:12 AM
Familiar Face

Default Hubbard

Better think again about not seeing Hubbard. Here are some posts from another thread over recent weeks:

Even if you can't get real close Hubbard Glacier is still something to see as today it is doing something rarely seen. It has advanced again so that it has reached Gilbert Point making Russell Fiord into Russel Lake. This happened in 1986 and Russell Lake rose 80 feet trapping all types of marine wildlife. If it had risen to over a hundred feet it could have created great ecological damage to the area in that a major salmon spawning stream would have been wiped out. It was that way for 5 months but in Ocober the pressure got so great it blew out. I haven't heard anything about it in the last few days but last week the water was raising very fast.

Hubbard is North America's largest tidewater glacier, and has a face nearly 6 mile wide and it reaches a height of close to 300 feet.

Yesterday a friend, who is the bear biologist for this park just returned from Yakutat. They had him working cruise ships for the past two weeks giving bear lectures. (Hubbard Glacier is in this park and about 100 miles to the southeast of my location, near McCarthy.) He said Hubbard Glacier is really something to see and hear. On many of the crusise ships he was on they got very close, one was only a quarter of a mile away. A week ago he was able to fly over Russell Fiord/Lake and said the water then was getting close to 40 feet above normal. Hubbard is still moving forward rapidly and has really built an ice dam across the the shoal at the head of Disenchantment Bay, (This bay is located at the far east end of Yakutat Bay). The ice blockage seals off Russell Fiord, which is not insignificant as Russell Fiord must be near 30 miles long, and over a mile wide at some points, it even has another fiord running off of it, Nunatak Fiord. Whales and seals are now trapped in there. If the new Russell Lake should rise more than 130 feet then it will spill over into old Situk Creek and the Situk River destroying all sorts of prime salmon spawing habitat.

Hubbard Glacier 8-14 - Fantastic

Just returned from the Radiance 8-10 sailing and were at Hubbard Glacier Wednesday a.m., 8-14-02 and saw history in the making. The captain pulled the ship between 300 and 400 meters to the face of the glacier (reporting it was the closest he had ever gotten). We pulled in about 10:00 a.m., and saw (heard) calving immediately to the right of the glacier followed by a constant flow of rapid water. We then learned that Hubbard broke loose releasing Russell Fjord. The water flowed the entire time we were at the glacier. Looked like whitewater rapids with chunks of ice. It was quite a sight to see. As we were leaving the fog rolled in and Princess went with it. I hope they were able to see the glacier. It was quite beautiful.

Coast Guard Warning Eased to Phase 3

For those of us who will be sailing soon (we leave on Aug 25th) and Hubbard is on our itinerary - the Coast Guard eased the safety phase from Phase 4 to Phase 3 on 8/16/2002. That puts the line much closer to the Glacier.

To see the phases go to the following link - to see a map with the Phases marked click the chartlet link on that page:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/hubbard/cgnotice.html

Happy Sailing!
Old October 1st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Delores

Default Re: Hubbard

We were on the Vision Sept. 8 cruise, & our ship was really close to Hubbard Glacier. A huge chunk came down & started coming towards the ship. We all thought it was going to hit our ship, but it stopped before getting there. It was really exciting. I'm sure it gave the Captain a scare for a few moments. It is a spectacular site!!
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default glaciers

First time to Alaska next summer. Not all ships go to Glaicer Bay National Park. I think the other main option is Hubbard Glaicer. What do you think? GBNP or HG? I would appreciate your opinions. This also would mean which ship to book. Thanks!!!

I have sailed to all the above, Glacier Bay, Hubbard, College Fjord and Tracy Arm. My clear preference is Glacier Bay- BUT Alaska trips are full of compromises. I have only been able to experince my "preferences" through many trips. It is an awe inspiring adventure that requires return trips!!