Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:21 AM
JWMDCM

Default Alaska cruise - HAL Zaandam or RCL Vision

We are planning a cruise for June 2003 to Alaska, but are having a hard time deciding between the HAL Zaandam and RCL Vision of the seas. I need some opinions which is better. I like that the Vision stops at Misty Fjords, but Vision doesn't go to Glacier Bay. How do the dining rooms compare? Are they comparable in things such as china and crystal that HAL uses. Does the food compare? Does one have fancier entrees than the other? Decor of the ships? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Booking soon!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska cruise - HAL Zaandam or RCL Vision

I vote loudly for H.A.L. Reasons:

Glacier Bay
You can take a boat/plane tour of Misty Fjords (best of both worlds)
food is better
furnishings are nicer and far more comfortable
more activities on board
crews are more friendly
fresh squeezed O.J. at breakfast
free cappucino all day and night
wonderful woolen blankets and real wood deck chairs
cabins are far more comfortable
verandahs are deeper
I could go on for a long time.............................................. ....
Old November 7th, 2002, 02:48 PM
John Q

We have been on both HAL and RCL and while we were happy on RCL, HAL was hands down a better ship with better service and total experience. For a comparable price, HAL is better. Make sure that your specific cruise stops at Glacier Bay since not every sailing stops there. I don't think RCL actually goes into MIsty Fjords or only near the entrance. I haven't researched this since before our cruise last May.
Old November 8th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Alaska cruise - HAL Zaandam or RCL Vision

You want to go to Glaicer Bay. Flat out the best attraction in Alaska. HAL is very nice. We booked the Massdam for Aug 2003 and got an excellent price.
Old November 18th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Re: Alaska cruise - HAL Zaandam or RCL Vision

We were on the Vision in Sept. We did go into Misty Fjords & the Capt. turned the ship around at the end. It was fabulous. We thought it was a beautiful ship & the food was very good. I have not been on HAL, so can't compare. Hubbard Glacier was also fabulous with some fantastic calving.
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:39 AM
Admiral

I have been on both HAL and RCI to Alaska and agree with the others HAL is my preference. Our ship did not "go to the end" of Misty Fjords and having flown there a few times that was superior. I also have a great preference of Glacier Bay. The RCI ships are not for me due to their full front blue windscreens. I greatly dislike them and they hinder my intense marine wildlife watching. there were even a bunch of people attempting to stand on chairs to see over it. This is my opinion only.