Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Yeoman

Default what is best town to walk around and shop in

hi all,
i'm planning my first cruise and cant decide what to do as far as shore excursions. i am booked already with capt. larry in junea and cant wait to do that. here is my delema. my ports are junea, skagway and ketchican. i want one day off the ship to just wander around and shop and not make a shore trip ahead of time. i see on the boards that sometimes it is impossible to get into skagway because of the weather but i would like to take the white pass train ride. would you say this is the town i should leave open for a day of shopping and leisure walking around. i want to make the most of the trip, but not waste a excursion if i cant get to shore there. would it be easy or impossible to get on the train at the last minute?? any suggestions will be great. thanks dusty
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: what is best town to walk around and shop in

From what I have read, both Ketchikan and Skagway are good "walk around" towns with lots of shops and things to do.

I am pretty sure that If you book the Skagway train via the ship shore excursion office, and the ship doesn't dock, you can get a refund. That is one of the advantages of booking with the ship rather than a local vendor. You may pay a few more dollars, but you have the guarantee of not losing money.

My suggestion, book the train via the ship and if it goes, you have two shore excursions in Juneau and Skagway and Ketchikan can be your shopping day.

Enjoy!
Old November 11th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: what is best town to walk around and shop in

Hi Dusty,
Agree with Sportsfan, both Skagway and Ketchican have some decent shopping. Out of these 2, definitely Ketchican has a larger area with shops and a nice walk around town. I will also add, that in almost all the different ports, you'll see a lot of the same stuff, possibly different prices, but all close. I was a bit suprised to see the same stores that I see down in the Caribbean too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 18th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Re: what is best town to walk around and shop in

We went Sept. 8 & found 50-75% off lots of places, but I think the best prices were in Skagway. But we also bought some things in Ketchikan. There's a Woolworth's in Ketchikan where we bought t-shirts for grandkids for $1.99 but I think I saw them that cheap lots of places. You'll enjoy your Alaska cruise & shopping up there.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:59 AM
SpongeRob

Juneau is not a bad place to shop. In fact, there are a lot of interesting shops there where you can find artwork, Russian goods, and other items that go beyond the fare of standard tourist gift shops. Prices were fairly reasonable, considering that it was at the height of tourist season and three ships were docked that day. The best part is that after a little walking and shopping, you can justify a quick stop at the Red Dog Saloon for a liquid refreshment.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 01:30 AM
First Mate

We had shore excursions in every port but Ketchican, and it's a wonderful little place to walk around. But the best buys are in the trading post right on the pier.

Denise

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old November 28th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Lorna

Default Re: Re: what is best town to walk around and shop in

We really liked Skagway for shopping and walking around. It is really a cute town. Ketchikan had the best prices on things. Depending on when your trip with Capt. Larry is you might not get to shop in Juneau. We went at noon and only got to shop in the morning before we went on our whale watching. It is really awesome. Also, if you really like scenery go up the Mt. Roberts tramway in Juneau. It is really worth it.