Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Marco

Default Routing from Seattle

Hello everyone,
A question about the routing of Inside Passage roundtrip-cruises starting from Seattle in 2003:
When the ships return from Alaska towards Victoria, do they sail east or west of Vancouver Island? This is usually not mentioned in the itineraries. I have the NORWEGIAN SUN in mind, but I would prefer to sail again through the Islands of the Johnstone Strait, as this is a spectacular landscape.

Thanks /
Best regards from Lübeck/Germany
Marco
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Routing from Seattle

Marco,

We went on Amsterdam from Seattle this year and having been from Vancouver many times before, I can say that we were dissapointed in this routing which was West of Vancouver Island on both outward and Inward voyages.

The Johnstone Strait through Seymour Narrows is in my opinion one of the highlights of any Alaska Cruise.

We understand the logic of the outside route-it enables ships like the Amsterdam to go to Hubbard Bay, a trip well worth it but not normally part of the 7 day R/t cruise from Vancouver.

The Amsterdam and all its amenieties were first class but we did miss the real Inside passage out of Vancouver.

Having been also on the Alaska Ferry many times, we also miss the Grenville Channel and Wrangell Narrows.

So really it depends what you wish to see,

Happy Cruising

L
Old December 8th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Routing from Seattle

2nd Try

Marco,

We went on Amsterdam from Seattle this year and having been from Vancouver many times before, I can say that we were dissapointed in this routing which was West of Vancouver Island on both outward and Inward voyages.

The Johnstone Strait through Seymour Narrows is in my opinion one of the highlights of any Alaska Cruise.

We understand the logic of the outside route-it enables ships like the Amsterdam to go to Hubbard Bay, a trip well worth it but not normally part of the 7 day R/t cruise from Vancouver.

The Amsterdam and all its amenieties were first class but we did miss the real Inside passage out of Vancouver.

Having been also on the Alaska Ferry many times, we also miss the Grenville Channel and Wrangell Narrows.

So really it depends what you wish to see,

Happy Cruising

L
Old December 8th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Routing from Seattle

Hi Marco,
We had a lovely Alaska cruise this past summer on Celebrity Infinity, not sure which way they go through the inside passage. We did have a few hours at Hubbard Glacier and that was the high point for both my husband and myself, although we had an exceptional day there, lots of calving and it was totally amazing. Being our first trip to Alaska, this itinary was roundtrip from Vancouver, and we flew directly into and out of Vancouver. We wanted to spend an afternoon exploring "Gastown", which we were able to do by not wasting time coming up from Seattle, so that was a plus for us.

Here is a link to the review I wrote about it, there are also some pics I'll include, hope this will be some help:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...infinity14.cfm
Pictures
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=589
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=591
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=596

Do let us know what ship you finally decide for your cruise in Alaska.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 29th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Routing from Seattle

All sailings from Vancouver sail inside Vancouver Island- nothing to do with going to Hubbard Glacier. Any Seattle sailing will only be gone the same 7 days- but with the slightly farther distance but also the mandated "foreign port" stop. I find the 3 hours+ between Seattle -Vancouver to be "nothing". Can offer significant airfare savings and a better sailing route out of Vancouver. But I have also gone out ot the passage- farther up on round trip Vancouver sailings- greatly depends on conditions. More and more are sailing some outside.
Old December 30th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Routing from Seattle

Karen,

The Seatle sailings do not go to on the Inside Passage Vancouver.

The Amsterdam, on whic h we sailed last July,went to the west of Vancouver Island-in otherwords Pacific Route.

The captain of the Amsterdam informed that this was to make Juneau in 2 days and to reach the Hubbard Glacier which is further north than any Serattle sailings normaly go,

There is a controlled number of cruise ships that can go into Glacier Bay and therefore to reach Hubbard Glacier, you have to take the fast route around Vancouver Island.

Hubbard Glacier is normally only for those who take the Seward trip.

L
Old January 1st, 2003, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Routing from Seattle

>
> There is a controlled number of cruise ships that can go into
> Glacier Bay and therefore to reach Hubbard Glacier, you have to
> take the fast route around Vancouver Island.
>
> Hubbard Glacier is normally only for those who take the
> Seward trip.
>

Hubbard Glacier is visited by a lot of Alaska cruises including round trip. Sawyer glacier is added this year as well.

"The Seatle sailings do not go to on the Inside Passage Vancouver."

NCL DOES sail inside Vancouver Island on their Seatlle sailings.