Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Passenger

Default AURORA BOREALIS

Of all I have read about cruising to Alaska, I have heard very little about the Aurora Borealis. What little I know about them or think I know about them, indicate they are best viewed during the Spring and Fall Equinox. So, can anyone tell me about seeing the northern lights at other times during the year. We are cruising the first week in July, is there any chance at all of seeing them. I have this fantasy of sitting on some upper deck, and in the dark watching what I have only seen once before and that was from Wisconsin.

Thanks,
Dave & Susan Fehser

New Pacific Princess
July 1, 2003
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: AURORA BOREALIS

Hi Fdjames,
When we were there in early Sept. of this year, the Northern lights were our, but unfortunately I fell asleep, but did hear all about it the next day. Not sure when is a good time or if its hit and miss???

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 28th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Gary Karschnick

On our last Alaska cruise, we asked the Captain at the welcome aboard party about this. He told us to send a note to the bridge through the pursers desk asking to be called if the Northern Lights were "up". We did and 2 nightls later, we received a call, went out on deck and witnessed the lights. They can occur at any time of the year. I believe that they are a function of magnetic disturbances on the sun. I have seen them many times and they are a sight not to be missed. Good luck!
Old December 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

First week of July? Probably not even a chance- you need dark clear nights and best viewing is interior. I have seen them at the end of August but I will be in Fairbanks 3-03 for some serious viewing that will make the August trip look sick!
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

Author: Gary Karschnick
"On our last Alaska cruise, we asked the Captain at the welcome aboard party about this. He told us to send a note to the bridge through the pursers desk asking to be called if the Northern Lights were "up". We did and 2 nightls later, we received a call, went out on deck and witnessed the lights."

When you did this, could you see the lights from your balcony ? (Or did you have a balcony?) If not which deck would be best for viewing? Bow or stern?
I think this is a great idea and intend to try it when we go in May.

Thanks for the info!
Linda

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 1st, 2003, 09:30 AM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

We did have a balcony. (Ithink a balcony is a MUST for Alaska.) However, there were some deck lights that made the viewing difficult from it. Our friends on the other side of the ship saw the show without difficulty. We got up and went to the upper deck on the bow and had a great view.
Old January 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM
Admiral

When you did this, could you see the lights from your balcony ? (Or did you have a balcony?) If not which deck would be best for viewing? Bow or stern?
I think this is a great idea and intend to try it when we go in May.

There is essentially no chance of seeing them in May- but you would view them to the north, and I would always head for a top deck.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

I just informed my husband that this is one cruise we are going to repeat in a few years! This time we're going later so we won't miss so much. Would August be good to see the aurora borealisis? That is something we would really like to see.

Carnival Inspiration
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

I found a great video in our public library about the Aurora Borealis. It said that the AB is related to solar activity and actually occurs year-round. But because the AB lights themselves are actually rather dim, you need a very dark night to see them. During the summer, it just doesn't get dark enough. According to the video, the most spectacular viewing occurs during the winter, when few travellers go there because of the cold. But a couple of my friends have briefly seen the AB in Sept.
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

For any possible viewing in August- by chance- you need to be in Fairbanks or farther north. I have only seen them once at the end of August.
Old January 10th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

We live in Minnesota and have seen spectacular northern lights at all times of the year. The best I ever saw was in northern Minn in August, almost like fireworks in intensity. The next best sighting for us was in Wisconsin one September night in the northern woods. As was said earlier, the key is to be away from lights and hope there has been lots of solar activity.

We'll be looking for them in July from the Coral Princess too. Always in awe of them!
Old January 13th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Admiral

A big difference with Alaska and Minn I would suppose would be the midnight sun. I'll assume you get darkness?? Unfortunately in Fairbanks in June it never gets very dark., a lot of twilight, I have seen the lights end of August on one trip, none on the others.
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: AURORA BOREALIS

Good point, I keep forgetting that it stays light for so long!
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Admiral

A VERY important point as well. Essentially NO chance of viewing mid May- early August.