Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Passenger

Default What's the weather REALLY like?

I've heard secondhand from a few people who've been to Alaska that it's often cloudy and rainy, and that Mt. McKinley, for example, is visible only a few days out of each year. Is this true? We are thinking of going from mid to late May. What can we expect in terms of weather conditions?
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Gary Karschnick

Default Re: What's the weather REALLY like?

You can expect anything from rain to snow to warm sunny skies. Just take layers and be prepared for everything. There is no set weather pattern.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM
John Q

Last May and early June, we had cool days, some cloudy overcast, some sunny. We only had rain on June 1st on our drive back from Denali to Anchorage. Got to anchorage and the sun was up later at 11pm!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:53 PM
Delores

Default Re: Re: What's the weather REALLY like?

We went to the Interior May 25 & rode the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. It was downright COLD at Denali, & we didn't see the mountain. It's too early for flowers, & we didn't see a lot of animals that early. They day we flew back from Fairbanks to Anchorage, it was probably in the mid-70's. And yes, it was light most of the night, & it isn't near so crowded that early. Be prepared with warm clothes, tho.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:07 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

Beth,

It is true that is a rare sight to see Denali out. I live and work in Anchorage and can see Denali from my office. Even from Anchorage the mountain is not out much during the summer, but we have beautiful views in the winter when it is cold and clear. Mid May to late May can still be quite chilly. I would recommend waiting until mid-June. Flowers will be blooming and the greenery is very lush.July is the busiest tourist month and prices seem to increase greatly. However, July is one of the best months for salmon fishing. Hope this helps.
Old January 25th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Another major concern is - I assume you are referring to interior Alaska?? is any touring into Denali Park needs to be scheduled after June 1. It isn't open to Eielson until then and Wonder Lake June8. A lot of people- unfortunately also the above poster don't know this.- further access into the park-= more wildlife viewing the farther in you go. The tour companies are selling these tours earlier and earlier but you will only get in a few miles with work ongoing getting the road open. I have only seen the full Alaska range- Mt McKinley ONCE out of my many trips- so no it is not likely to be seen. I'll be there in 3-03 however, my first winter trip and will be going for totally different adventures.