Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default How does airfare work for non-roundtrip cruises

Hello all,

forgive me for asking a dumb question. We liked the holland cruise for alaska but we booked the RCL cruise because it was a roundtrip out of Vancouver. If we were to take a Holland cruise later that leave out of Vancouver but disembarks at Seward, do you have to buy one-way tickets for air? The cruise price may be good but can you get a airfare that is reasonable. Could someone explain to me how this works.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How does airfare work for non-roundtrip cruises

First off, Holland has several ships that do the Vancouver to Vancouver round trip and one that does Seattle to Seattle. You can even fly into Seattle and the bus to Vancouver for a roundtrip inside passage and then bus back to Seattle. This usually save in air fare because traveling to Vancouver is normally more expensive than air to Seattle.

If you do a one-way your air is setup either by you, a ta, or the cruise line to fly into Vancouver and return from Anchorage. This usually costs more money but many people do it.

The key is to kind what is best for you.

Enjoy!
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Admiral

What you would be purchasing is call an "open jaw" flight, they are more expensive than round trips but less than one ways. Compare booking your own vs the cruise air which will include transfers. A lot more cruise air will go into Seattle vs Vancouver but the 3+ hour transfer is included, same with the 3+ hour transfer Seward/ Anchorage. But I never recommend any one way Alaska cruises without adding at least 5 days interior travel independently or 7 days with a cruisetour. It is too far and costly not to take advantage of being there. One way and round trip cruises are more similar than different, difference is only one sailing day College Fjords. Otherwise they both include usually- 3 ports and a glacier.
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How does airfare work for non-roundtrip cruises

We are doing a ONE WAY cruise from Vancouver to Seward. We got our airline tickets through the cruise line - Princess. It's technically a "round trip" ticket. It takes us from our home town to Vancouver then from Fairbanks back home. It only cost us $689 per person. We did it through a travel agent. I asked the cruise line itself for a price and they quoted me $714 per person (including taxes). Check with your cruise line and see what they have.
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Beginner

We have booked a cruise starting in Vancouver, ending in Seward, for July. You can either use frequent flier miles (these were sold out in January for my route) or purchase an open jaw ticket. I found that COntinental had a deal on open jaw tickets, as long as you booked 2 at a time. I booked 2 sets of 2, and paid $430 per ticket for Pittsburgh to Vancouver, Anchorage to Pittsburgh. I even got to use some frequent flier miles and upgrade the trip home to first class. Not a bad deal,-- you just have to be very vigilant and search fares on the various internet web sites. Good Luck.
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:00 AM
First Mate

We'll be saling on Celebrity Summit in May. We're flying from San Francisco to Vancouver, then Anchorage to San Francisco. We booked our air through Celebrity, and used our Captain's Club perk of Custom Air Arrangements (as well as a lot of wrangling by our TA.) Total airfare per person was $169. We checked Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. and the best we could do was over $300 pp. The cruise lines' airfare may or may not be a deal. You really need to shop around. Last year we sailed Rio to Valparaiso in South America. Our airfare from San Francisco, which we purchased trhough Travelocity was about $600pp. The cruise line wanted approx. $1,200. You really do need to shop around. If you're researching on Expedia, Travelocity, etc., just use the "advanced search" or "options" button, and choose "MULTIPLE CITIES" There are lots of good deals out there, but you do need to do your homework. It took weeks of daily checking to get our South America airfare so low.
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last year we used orbitz.com and got good rates on our plane tickets. Use their "multicity" link. We flew Omaha to Vancouver and then Anchorage to Omaha same day as embarkation and deportation with no problems.
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Davida,
When are you going on RCCL we are booked on Radiance for 8;/23
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Misty

Default Re: Re: Re: How does airfare work for non-roundtrip cruises

Ditto. We're taking a NB cruise from Vancouver to Seward. We booked our air thru the cruiseline. LA to Vancouver, then Anchorage back to LA is only $550 pp and includes all transfers. Doesn't seem bad to us at all.
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Hello all:

You people are awesome. I really got a great deal of info on this subject. I wish that I had asked before I booked my cruise because there were longer and better trips and I chickened out due to the air fares. This is my first Alaska trip and I am sure it won't be my last. By the way, I am on the Raddiance on 6/7/03. Believe me, I will be give you much feedback when I get back. Hopefully Lauri, I can give you plus/minus tips about the ship.
Old February 26th, 2003, 10:01 AM
First Mate

Maybe it isn't too late to cancel and rebook on the cruise you wanted?
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Davida,

If you have any questions on the Radiance, send them this way.
We have sailed on her 5 times. She is a great ship!!

John
Old March 13th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How does airfare work for non-roundtrip crui

Blizzard54,

Would be very interested in your experience on Radiance. What excursions you took, do's and don'ts, must see's, anything that would help us enjoy this ship and Alaska better. Were you with kids? We wanted a ship with a kids program but we didn't want a ship that let kids run wild. I don't know if that makes sense but this is our first major family vacation. My wife and I met on a cruise 17 yrs ago and now we are bringing two additional passengers on thier first. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old March 14th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Admiral

Would be very interested in your experience on Radiance. What excursions you took, do's and don'ts, must see's, anything that would help us enjoy this ship and Alaska better. Were you with kids? We wanted a ship with a kids program but we didn't want a ship that let kids run wild. I don't know if that makes sense but this is our first major family vacation. My wife and I met on a cruise 17 yrs ago and now we are bringing two additional passengers on thier first. Hope to hear from you soon

For clairfication- there are far fewer kids on Alaska sailings compared to the Caribbean. There are NO ships going there that are overrun with kids- even Carnival- which I have sailed 3 times to Alaska, passengers middle aged and above the majority, but plenty of families. I have also gone on HAL, Princess and RCI. Best for your excursion choices would be to look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Strongly consider budget and repost your options. A great deal can depend on your kids ages and if you are willing to split up on excursions- I always do. Tours are too costly to spend on someone with limited interest and too good to not do something you want.
Old March 15th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Passenger

The Radiance has great facilities for kids. We have seen them from time to time but they have their own areas and do not spend a lot of time in the general public areas.
We no longer travel with child. (someday maybe with grandchildren)

As for shore trips... It has been a few yeas since we have been to Alaska. There are many new excursions that we have not done. It depends a lot on your budget.
Flightseeing in Ketchican is great but not cheap.

One year in Juneau, with another couple, we rented a car and drove out to Mendenhall. We called the rental agency from the dock and they delivered the car from the airport, it was much cheaper than taking the tour bus.

A walking tour of Skagway is not too far from the ship.

The Radiance herself would be great for Alaska. There is lots of glass so you can see plenty of sceanery from inside if it is a little chilly.

John