Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Default Talkeetna - What to Do

We will be in Talkeetna for a 2 nights and 1-1/2 days during our land tour in mid-July what should we plan to do?
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:29 PM
Just back

Default Re: Talkeetna - What to Do

Talkeetna is really small, so you can do it all! Actually it is a great place to book flightseeing. We did the Sundog Kennel...they will take you on an ride with the Iditarod dogs. We also took a sunset float trip and saw lots of beaver...up close and personal. It's a great funky little town just to have a coffee and sit on a bench. Almost a parade of folks. No leash law, no police...just laid back fun people.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
MaxMax

Thanks for the great description of Talkeetna. Sounds like a fun place!
Old March 29th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Admiral

This is the BEST place for McKinley flghts since it is not likely to be visable otherwise. I have gone with Talkeetna Aero the most but also with K2. My preference is a summit flight- (over the top, not just viewing), I have also ski planed with a glacier landing. If not staying in Talkeetna- you probably are at the McKinley Princess? Be aware that you are 40 miles away and need to factor that in??? If in Talkeetna lodging you need a short shuttle in. Great town that I just was in last week. Totally different in the winter. Talkeetna Roadhouse has some excellent cinnamon buns that they are famous for.
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Talkeetna - What to Do

Thanks. We are staying at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
Old April 1st, 2003, 08:22 AM
Just back

Default Re: Re: Re: Talkeetna - What to Do

The food is great at the lodge, and they have a lodge shuttle that takes you down the hill into the town area. Your view of Denali, from the lodge can be spectacular...depends on the cloud coverage.
Old April 1st, 2003, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Do I need to make reservations for the Summit flight before we arrive - mid-July. Fi so who do you recommend?

Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Absolutely you need reservations, if you "show up", you will be limited to the flight they are running that day, picked by other passengers. I would never not have reservations. Any of the operators out of Talkeetna are well established and offer excellent tours. Choose who fits your time and desired tour the best. Some offer AAA discounts and if taking a costly flight it may be worthwhile to purchase the toursaver coupon book. Talkeetna Aero has a 2 for 1 coupon.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Is the tour saver coupon book from AAA? Or where? I am a AAA member. Thanks. I am getting so excited about this trip. First one to Alaska!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:02 AM
Admiral

It is a coupon book you purchase for $99, very worthwhile for independent travelers, especially interior. www.toursaver.com
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Talkeetna - What to Do

The Circle Denali tour is $175/person.
The Over the Summit tour is $205/person.
Your AAA discount is only 10% while the Toursaver coupon is good for buy 1 get 1 free. The book is available at toursaver.com for $99.95. I just purchased this book and immediately used this coupon for Talkeetna Aero, saving $175 and another for the Sternwheeler Cruise in Fairbanks that saved me another $45. Total savings after using only 2 coupons is $120. There is a total of about 175 coupons in this book but many that I will never use. Still, depending on what you are doing in Alaska it can be a money saver. Just go to the above website for the book and check it out. I believe they list most if not all of the coupons in the book.
Old April 12th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Yeoman

Hi to all!
First of all, I have the toursaver book, It's been a great investment! My question is this, if we take the McKinley flightseeing including a glacier landing and then go to Juneau would the Mendenhall Glacier helicopter and landing be somewhat similar or are each distinct enough to see both. Thanks
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Admiral

A consideration is- how much private flying have your done?? Are you interested in a ski plane landing? I found the glaicer landing of Ruth Glacier a distant second to helicopter landings out of Juneau. Far better, my opinion only, out of Talkeetna was the summit flight.
Old April 13th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Yeoman

There will be many firsts on this trip including small aircraft flying. We will definately do the summit flight out of Talkeetna and save the glacier landing for the Mendenhall. Karen16 thank you for your input. I have gotten lots of good info reading your posts and these message boards. I just recently starting using the computer and discovered this site. I'am so thankfull for everyone's help. I'm bound to come up with some more questions! We are beginning our 30 anniv. trip on June 3. Cheryl
Old April 19th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Passenger

We'll be staying at the Princess Denali Wilderness Lodge. Is there a bus or shuttle from Denali to Talkeetna to just wander and tour around on your own? Thanks Missy
Old April 20th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Admiral

We'll be staying at the Princess Denali Wilderness Lodge. Is there a bus or shuttle from Denali to Talkeetna to just wander and tour around on your own? Thanks

Nope you are 150 miles away. If going independent an easy stop along the way. On a tour- you're out of luck. I would instead take full advantage of the ranger activities at Denali Park.