Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:58 PM
jmarie

Default alaska clothes question

Hello,
I would like to purchase a rain/gortex type coat for my alaska cruise at the end of June.

I'm wondering if i should get one that has a fleece lining or will that be too warm? I need to get one for both me and my husband. We do want to do some type of shore excursion (sp?), so I am thinking we will need some type of rain gear.

Also how many sweaters/sweatshirts will I need. Can i wear shorts/capri's that time of year?
Thank you for any help....jeanine
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: alaska clothes question

Hi Jmarie

We are going to alaska too, in Aug. I wound up getting a jacket with a zip out fleece lining, so I will be set both ways. I think it was columbiawear.

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old March 26th, 2003, 05:31 PM
SharB

Hi!
Layering is the only way to go. We took heavy coats on our first cruise to Alaska (we've been on three) and regreted it. A raincoat is always a good idea, as long as you can put layers of clothing underneath it (eg t-shirt and sweatshirt/sweater). I've never been to Alaska in June, only September. But packing guides always specify the layering bit. Alaska is perhaps the hardest cruise to pack for, due to the extreme weather variances. I'm sure others can give you more specific answers, but we've experienced snow, hail, horizontal rain, and 75+ degree weather all within 7 days.

Shar
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Jmarie,

I will let you know. I am leaving the first week of June. I too bought a fleece lined coat along with some wind pants. Karen always talks about layering clothes as being the best option but I have plans to do the dogsledding trip and thought that jacket would be wise decision. Hopefully when I get back on 15th, I can relay info regarding whether or not to leave coat at home... Happy trails from Houston...
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Admiral

My Alaska "uniform" only includes a removable lined lightweight nylon jacket and layers. I always do my laundry to cut down on the bulk. Quick drying clothing is a big plus. You won't need "winter" coats, so leave them home.
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:47 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Karen you seem to be the expert on Alaska. I am going May9 out of San Diego on the Summit, will be in Skagway on the 19. Now I have booked a 8 hour bus trip to the Youkon. It is the ship tour., or should I do the silver gardens. I am thinking since this is my first and probably only time in Alaska on a 7 or 8 hour drive I would see some of the interior We will stop somewhere for lunch. What do you say?? Auguste
Old April 1st, 2003, 03:17 AM
Admiral

since you seem to want an organized ship tour, I would suggest you consider one of the combo train bus tours. This gives an excellent overview loaded with history, the Klondike Highway only opened in the 70's. If you at all want to consider some independent touring, renting a car is an excellent adventure. For clairfication- you won't see any "interior Alaska". Only a small amount of BC and Yukon.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
jmarie

thank you everyone for your suggestions......I think I will just that the light nylon jacket and plan on layering. At least the jacket will take up less room too. ~jmarie