Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default Wind Pants

OK, so everyone who's been on an Alaska Cruise before recommends wind pants. I just did a quick search for wind pants, and the prices range from $19.99 to almost $200.00. Where did you get your pants and what are your recommendations on brand and price?
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM
John Q

Default Re: Wind Pants

You will see more people in jeans than windpants by a big margin, even if Karen would disagree. You can buy them anywhere, the problem is they aren't the most flatterying style for everyone, getting them short enough for many people is a problem. Many of them don't have elastic in legs, use wider bottoms with small zippers which makes length critical. I took a pair last year, but found them too long. They definitely pack smaller, don't wrinkle as much. We never had so much rain that we needed them.
Old March 28th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi AN,
I just wore jeans as was fine. Even had a few afternoons where shorts were fine, temps reached into the 70's, so be sure to pack some too.

What ship are you on in Alaska?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Admiral

As a many time visitor who always hikes in every port, the wind pants are far superior. They are at Walmart and I have NEVER gotten ones without elastic on the ankles so the "too long" complaint was not an issue. They are worn only for function and I never care how they look.
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Bottom line on the wind pants. I would buy the cheapest that I could find. The intent is to keep out the wind and the wetness of the ice.
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Tim T

Default Re: Re: Wind Pants

Elastic on the cuffs is only desirable if the wind in question is from OUTSIDE the pants.

Tim
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Yeoman

Well said, Tim T...;-)
3 working hours till Sayonara ;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Passenger

As we would have no need for wind pants except on this trip, we found an inexpensive alternative that we think will work fine for us. We bought a couple of cans of scotch-guard and are spraying items that we'll be wearing outdoors on excursions.

Scotch-guard makes clothing water-resistant, not water-proof, but it is good enough for us. A $3.00 can covered two pair of jeans and 2 good-sized back packs. A 2nd can covered 4 pair of walking shoes and 2 long-sleeved shirts.

We've had some rain lately so have had the opportunity to try out our newly water-resistant clothing. It works even better than we had hoped.
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

The post man just delivered my new Tencel wind suit from Nordstrom.

I've tried them on and they feel great. I've had wind pants before and was glad I did for those early morning laps around the deck and all day long when sailing up the California coast on a cruise I took several years ago in May. There also great for those fogy summer days at the beach here in norther California.

Only 10 more weeks until I sail out of San Francisco to Alaska. I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of my wind suit on our 6 days at sea.