Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Passenger

Default Juneau Late Afternoon Questions

The Alaska season is almost here. We have to wait until late August though for our cruise.

We need help making plans for Juneau. Our ship is in port 2:00 - 11:00 PM. Even though we are in Juneau 9 hours we seem to be limited in what we can do because things start to close and it gets darker earlier in late August.

Here are some of the things we are looking at. How can we fit more than one attraction into the Juneau stop?

Whale watching. We understand this would pretty well take the remainder of what daylight we had so the others would be out, except for perhaps an evening tram ride. Right?

Mt Roberts Tramway - daylight and night runs
Mendenhall Glaicer
Salmon Hatchery

Is is realistic to think we can get in all three of these places if we skip whale watching?

Any suggestions? What should we do? Skip?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Juneau Late Afternoon Questions

Red Dog Saloon is a must, because of the entertainment and ambiance, and there is a great crab restaurant across the street from RDS, its to the right about 100 or 200 yards. (I don't remember the name of the restaurant however.)
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

sportsfan,

When are you going in Aug and what ship? We are Aug 23 on the radiance. I can't help you on excursions because this is our first cruise.

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old March 29th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Default To Laurik1ke

Looks like we miss you. We are doing a roundtrip inside passage from Vancouver. We leave Aug 21 on HAL's Maasdam. We will be in Juneau on Aug 23, and Skagway on the 24th. We spend Aug 25th in Glaicer Bay, stop at Ketchikan on Aug 26 and then head back to Vancouver. Don't believe I saw the Radiance sharing any of our stops.

This is our 3rd cruise but first to Alaska. I think you probably have the same problem we do. Our cruise is in August and we are just barely ending March. Too long to wait!!

Enjoy!!
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We did a wonderful whale watching excursion in Juneau with Capt. Larry. You may want to look at his web-site and see if you can get a tour in and still have some time to visit the Red Dog.....

Here is the link to his site:

http://www.alaskawhalewatching.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Admiral

It will NOT be dark until about 9pm so you are misinformed about your tours. I would opt for Larry's 6pm whale watch and visit Mendenhall via MGT shuttle (not tour) pick up at the dock. Get off your ship as soon as it clears. As for the Hatchery- It is only about a mile+ from downtown, easy for a quick look via cab. BUT it is not worth skimping on time if you don't have it. The Ketchikan hatchery is more walkable if it is of interest. If you want to skip whale watching- you can definately get in your other options. But understand- you are not likely to see any close up viewing from your ship and viewing from your ship requires a great deal of time invested standing out on a front deck with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. If you want good views and sure sightings (most likely humpbacks) you need to take a tour.
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Juneau Late Afternoon Questions

Unfortunately, Capt Larry does not do an evening cruise on Aug 23. With a 2:00 pm arrival time, our only option is a 3:30 tour. After talking with Capt Larry, he said he would take a group to the Glaicer after the whale watch but the visitor center would be closed. There would still be enough light to hike the trails and see things.

Another note: Capt Larry's book is starting to fill. For the day I want, he is already at 18 with a 23 max on his big boat. That will most likely be a day he will have his 2nd boat in the water.

Thank you all for your information. It has been very helpful.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:39 AM
Admiral

I would then inquire of Dolphin. I have gone with both companies and they are well run.