Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Default The Alaska Cruise Companion

I purchase the book "Frommers Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call" it had some good information in it. You can get "The Alaska Cruise Companion" from Princess Cruise Lines. Has anyone purchase this one and if so can you tell me if its worth buying. If you have seen both books do they contain the same information? We sail May 26th out of Seward on the Dawn Princess, anyone else on this ship?
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: The Alaska Cruise Companion

No, they are not the same at all. The Frommer's book is a general description of various aspects of cruising in Alaska. It includes a little info on the ports and which excursions they liked. I guess since you said you bought it, I don't have to go on about that. The Princess book has a mile by mile description of what you will be seeing. A map with mile posts marked is included with the book. It is mostly history with some personal experiences thrown in. I guess it depends on what you are interested in. I liked the Frommer's book best, because it told me what I wanted to know to plan our cruise, but my husband, a history buff, is more interested in the Princess Alaska Cruise Companion. We decided that that since I've done the research to plan our cruise, he will be the tour guide telling me interesting things about what we are seeing as we see it. I like to plan; he likes history. We get the best of both books without either of us having to read something we find boring.
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Crabpatti

Default Re: The Alaska Cruise Companion

I called and ordered the Alaska cruise companion last night...$25.00..through Princess1-800-PRINCESS, I told the operator I was booked on a Sept Alaska cruise on the Star princess, she told me she would include a $25 voucher so we could get our money back once on the ship...nice deal I thought...Patti