Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:03 PM
MJ Rubinstein

Default Rental Car Pick Up -- Anchorage

We have a reservation for a rental car pick up at the airport in Anchorage after our cruise. We will be taking Holland America's bus from Seward. We were told by HA that the bus will arrive at the "convention center" at noon but that there would be no transportation to the airport until 3PM. We need to get all the way to Denali that day and the three hour layover at the convention center is bothering me. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?
--Myra
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:41 PM
John Q

Default Re: Rental Car Pick Up -- Anchorage

We kind of reversed it last year. We came into Anc, picked up rental car and went to Denali etc for a week. Upon returning to Anc, I called HAL and asked them if we would be able to catch the bus to Seward from the airport rather than Egan Center downtown. It made a difference whether I was going to take the luggage and my wife to one or the other while I returned the rental car. I was assured that the bus would leave from the airport for Seward. Well, we did leave but went back to Egan Center right near where our hotel was and waited another hour or two until our bus was ready. There is probably a bus that just runs back and forth or some van service that might be worth the expense to save the 3 hrs. The trip to Denali with stops along the way is an all day event. We stopped in Talkeetna for lunch, the vet memorial, Mt McKinley Lodge, etc.
Old April 25th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Rental Car Pick Up -- Anchorage

First off, I wouldn't drive all the way to Denali Park on the same day,unless you are allowing a slow trip on the way back to see things- it will take about 6 hours with a couple short rest stops??? If you have to get to the airport- simple- take a cab.