Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Default Honeymoon Trip

My husband and I are traveling to Alaska for our honeymoon at the end of June. With this begining our first time taking a cruise, I am nervous. Mostly I am concerned about what to pack for Alaska and what to expect from our trip. I heard I needed to pack bug spray for instance...what else do I need to know...and are there any good site to visit to find out more on Alaska and packing guidelines.
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Honeymoon Trip

Cruisemates has an article right here on Alaska packing: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...skaPacking.cfm

Just bring things that you can layer and some lightweight rain gear. Most water and glacier excursions will supply hefty gear. Bring nice clothes for dinner (and 2 formal nights for a 7-day) but if you don't mind wearing some things of the same color you can get away with re-mixing tops and skirts/slacks and won't have to bring as many shoes.

We didn't need bug spray while we were there, but we didn't go on any hiking trips. Boats, canoes, helicopters, balconies and town walking, we saw no mosquitoes. If you do need it, I think it's better to buy it on the ship or at the port than to pack it.

Also bring a camera with TONS of film (it's expensive there and on the ship) or a digital camera with lots of storage and extra batteries. I'm NOT a big picture taker and took 6 rolls there!

Don't worry too much if you forget anything. There are shops on the ship and regular stores at all the ports. A fun rule of thumb I saw for female packing: Plan everything you need to bring, then pack half of that and you'll be fine.

Denise
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Molly,
First off, congrats on the upcoming wedding/honeymoon, how exciting! Just remember for packing for Alaska, its best to dress in layers and be sure to pack some kind of rain gear, most likely you'll run into some along the way. WE went the beginning of Sept. last year and had really nice weather, but you can expect almost anything, even wore shorts a few afternoons, temps reached into the 70's.

HEre is a link to a great packing for Alaska article, should help:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...skaPacking.cfm

What ship will you be on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Admiral

My Alaska "uniform" includes- layers of sweatshirts, turtlenecks, t- shirts, removable lightweight nylon jacket, I no longer would consider taking jeans, lined and unlined wind pants are perfect- lightweight, jeans are too bulky, take forever to dry tend to get and stay damp, knit hat, gloves, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes, your dinner wear- summer would be out of place an probably too cool, spring/fall attire is more what you need. I always do my laundry in Skagway- cuts way down on packing. Wide angle binoculars with my preference 10x50's. Have plans made in advance for port activities- time is too short to wait until you get there, budget generously. You will need to also budget for tips. I am a many time visitor and the only place I needed Deet was at Wonder Lake, never in the ports.