Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Default Victoria, BC

We are sailing to Alaska in July on the Princess Star. Our last port will be in Victoria, BC but we arrive at 7pm and depart at midnight. Is there really anything to see or do at that hour? Any suggestions? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Victoria, BC

This is an unfortunate too short stop mandated by the Jones' act. You could walk the 1+ mile to the inner harbor or there are shuttles. You may have to consider a ship tour to make the most of your time. I do believe that Butchart gardens is open late so that may be an option. The inner harbor is scenic at night- there are usually carriage rides available.
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Beginner

We had the same stop on our cruise last year and I recommend signing up with what the ship offers. You have such limited time that the only way you'll see anything is with the ship's excursions. You'll have plenty of day light left. Victoria is lovely so any general tour will show you the scenic harbor and probably include time at the shops. Butchart Gardens is well worth if (if they offer that). We stayed on the ship and it was dead, nothing happening at all, however we live directly across from Victoria in Port Angeles, WA so we go there quite often on the Ferry. The cruise ship dock is not in the Main Harbor, the scenic part, but we enjoyed the sunset and looking towards home.

Old May 9th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Victoria, BC

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm sooooo looking forward to this trip!!
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Victoria, BC

eetheridge,
Just finished reading your post. Noting that you live in Port Angeles, I was hoping your experience can help us. After 15 days of traveling from NY to Fairbanks and cruising the inside passage we are going to Victoria. We are planning on go to the Olpmpic Peninsular via the Coho ferry. Our plan is to leave sometime on Monday June 23. I have heard horror stories about the ferry lines. Any advise you give would be appreciated.
I'm in the final stages of planning our great trip and can't wait for it to begin, thanks again.
Cheryl
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Yes the Black Ball Ferry is in VERY short supply in season. Plan on being in line several HOURS prior to departure if you have a car, foot passengers are almost always accomdated, about 1 hour before sailing you will have to return to your car and go through customs, you then are confined to the waiting area.