Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Sun June 1 - Excursion Decisions

My husband and I are sailing the NCL Sun on June 1. Our stops are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria.

We would like to take a helicopter glacier tour from Juneau. Any recommendations for Northstar Trekking vs. ERA Aviation vs. Temsco? We are not certain whether to do just the glacier landing or the glacier trekking/hiking.

In Skagway, anyone familiar with the Southeast Tours Yukon Horseback Adventure? Looks like the van tour portion mirrors the White Pass Rail trip and we don't want to duplicate our experience. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In Ketchikan, we are looking at the Misty Fjords seaplane. Any feedback for Island Wings vs. Southeast Aviation vs. Misty Fjords Air vs. Family Air Tours vs. Dolly Varden Alaska? All trips are about the same price-wise. Just looking for a quality bump to one in particular.

Thanks very much,
Phil and Jennifer Adcock
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL Sun June 1 - Excursion Decisions

ERA is the ship contracted helicopter company and largest, also no direct bookings. Northstar trekking does require some physical fitness, inquire what the recommendations are. TEMSCO may direct book but is also a ship contractor and Coastal is completely independent. All are well established long time companies, I have gone with all except Northstar. Choose who fits your time, interest and budget. for clarification the Klondike Highway is totally different then the White Pass, especially at the summit where the train is superior. It is the only way to get to the Yukon for your horseback riding, this area is supposed to be better than the Dyea trip, as stated by a Carcross resident on the Cruise critic board. The parallel route would only be 20 miles and the views are different. Again the Ketchikan flight operators are long established and I wouldn't hesistate to book with any of them.
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL Sun June 1 - Excursion Decisions

Dolly Varden does not operate any Misty Fjords flights- they are a booking agent. I only book direct myself, I don't want phone tag and want direct contact with the operator for the times, tour and questions answered directly.