Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Suska

Default port or starboard views

Anyone who has cruised one way from Vancouver to Seward, are the views equally good from the port and starboard side cabins? I originally booked a cabin on the starboard side but have upgraded to a cabin with a verandah which is on guarantee so I won't be able to choose which side. If we get on the port side, will we be spending most of our time on the deck to get the good views while cruising the Inside Passage?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: port or starboard views

We did the reverse route, but for your first day if you're Port you'll be seeing Vancouver island etc., I didn't see the Starboard view (although we were going the other way so I *was* starboard at the time). After the first day, I think both sides should be gorgeous. If you go to Hubbard Glacier, they turn the ship so both sides get a view, which was neat. And they dock at ports on different sides, so sometimes we were facing the water and sometimes the docks.

I don't know which side I'll end up on either, hopefully Starboard again, since I'm going northbound this time. But I don't care either way, it's all gorgeous.

Denise
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, if you are doing an inside passage, some spots and a good many, you can see both sides, very narrow at times. Just get out on deck when ever you can and see it all, its amazing. Our captain too did a 360 out at Hubbard Glacier and it was great!

Have a great time and be sure to pack plenty of film, but keep it in your carry-on luggage along with your cameras

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Admiral

I disagree that it is a big deal that the ship turns at the glacier, if you choose to view from the side your time looking at the glacier is only a few minutes no matter how slow the turn, it should be a lot longer to fully get the most out the spectacular views. As for which side is better- northbound- port would offer more, but compared to a few years ago the ships are doing far more outside sailing- open ocean. Mainly because of the too large ships and to allow more time in port. The Inside Passage is nothing now compared to when I first started sailing Alaska and unfortunately no longer any "smaller" ships on the main lines.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Admiral

As for which side is better- northbound- port would offer more, but compared

CORRECTION- northbound- starboard,
southbound- port
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Maybe it depends which ship you're on? We stopped for a good long time on both sides and stayed on our balcony the entire time. I noticed from the schedule of ships (http://www.alaskacruises.org/ports/schedule.cfm) that different ones get different amounts of time at various places. For example, Carnival Spirit is in College Fjord for 6 hours this year on Northbound while all of the other big lines are there for 3. Unfortunately, no Hubbard Glacier for us this year.

So maybe last year we had more time at Hubbard? On the new schedule, most are around 4-5 hours, but the Prinsendam is there for 8.

Denise