Old May 7th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default kecthikan excursions

I'm trying to decide between the rain forest canoe adventure and a tour of one of the totem parks? I'd appreciate any input.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: kecthikan excursions

Depends what you like. I'm not too hot about totems. I'd rather the canoe.

Denise
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: ketchikan excursions

I'm also trying to sort out Ketchican excursions...I noticed that the Frommer's guide has a comment that unless you're _really_ into totem poles, the Totem Bight State Historical Park tour can get tiresome after the dozenth pole is explained to you in extreme detail, especially if it's cold out. I think it might be better to try to see some totem poles on your own somewhere like the Totem Heritage Center, and do the canoeing adventure.

Old May 8th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Actually , Totem bight is great self guided and a nice wooded walk. Saxman Village is necessary to have a guide with commentary as the stories are necessary for the "whole" experience, there is also an interesting carving shed. As for the Totem Heritage Museum- again a different emphasis- they have several authentic poles rescued from abandoned villages. The priority is preservation. All 3 areas are different. Ketchikan has several poles about the city. At the entrance to Creek St. out of the back of the Fox Westmark, take up the cheap funicular, in Whale Park. etc.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Stevesan

Default Re: Re: kecthikan excursions

Fortunately, Ketchikan is very easy to book independently. There is a large excursion shed at the dock. Nearly all of the tours can be booked there. We enjoyed the "Sea Kayak" trip with City Tours. You can likely do both the kayaking and totem visits. Book the kayak in advance to insure space, then, if time allows, sign up for etiher Saxman Village or Totem bight at the pier. City Tours has a desk at the pier shed. Their Sea Kayak web site:

http://citytours.alaskamade.com/kayak.html
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Passenger

The two excursions ( relatively cheap) that my family was interested in was the Lumberjack show ( cheesy but fun) and the Duck Tour. We booked Lumberjack show through the ship ( actually it is cheaper that way) and you can book duck tour via web site direct akduck.com. I have small kids so I am leaning for excursions that keep thier interest. I also booked a float plane trip via family air tours. Was able to get a 10% discount if I prepaid up front. No other kids discounts unfortunately.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Passenger

Behind the lumberjack show, you can rent fishing gear and fish the creek for salmon. Catch and release or have packed and shipped home.

Enjoy!
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:12 PM
PC

How is the Duck tour? It sounded like a lot of fun but when we tried to book we were too late and there were no openings.

I'd like to try it on our next Alaskan cruise.
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM
SharB

We really enjoyed the Duck Tour, the staff is very gracious and fun and the price is great. It's really fun to get in the water on the bus. It looks like the windows are right at water level :o)!!
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:36 PM
Passenger

We are going to do the Duck tour. Did the one in Seattle and loved it.

Robb