CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Radiance Alaska 5-31-03 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/246777-radiance-alaska-5-31-03-a.html)

mgbgt May 8th, 2003 08:05 PM

Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hello,

Anyone going this week?

Dave

Chuck Palm May 8th, 2003 11:04 PM

Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Richard, Where are you? This is your cruise.

mgbgt May 9th, 2003 04:09 AM

Hello,

On another board at Cruise Critic there is a very active thread for this cruise. The link is:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...4&m=4153073796

You might have to cut and paste it to your browser because it raps around to the second line.

Or go to cruisecritic.com and search for keyword Radiance.

Have a great cruise and be sure to check out this very active thread.

Dave

richard May 10th, 2003 07:13 PM

Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Chuck and dave,

Been a tad busy this week, had a 16 and 18hr shift this week. That'll be going to the future cruise fund!

Will indeed be on the May 31 Radiance sailing, hope the weather is as good as it is up here today. Stocked up on film so am all set. Yippie, 3 more weeks to go :-)

richard

mgbgt May 10th, 2003 10:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hi Richard,

After the hours your working sounds like you will need some R&R.

Will you be flying to the ship or driving.

Also what speed film are you taking.

Also by chance did you post over a Cruise Critic?

Dave

richard May 11th, 2003 12:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hi Dave,
We will be taking a taxi to the ship as we live in Richmond, which is part of Vancouver. As for film, Just sticking with 400 speed. I found on our Mexico cruise the 200 wasn't as sharp, esp. with the Point-and-Shoot. If you have an SLR you might want a lens hood if it's raining.

I did take a boo over there earlier tonight-thanks for the tip! Have been on Radiance before and loved the ship. Talk to you later.

richard

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hi Richard,

I think I am going to leave the SLR home. It is a hassle taking too much. But since you reminded me about the rain will put my point and shoot back into the carry on. Was going to try and just use digital. But because of the electronics should bring it along and use it as a backup. Thanks

I think by the time we sail we will have enough for a Royal Caribbean party.

Have you ever been up there this early?

Dave

Paula May 11th, 2003 11:06 AM

My husband and I and another couple are going on Radiance on 5-31 coming from South Carolina. I have found that if you carry a zip lock bag ( I use the gallon size, since I have the Sony Mavica w/mini CD) you can put the camera in the bag with the lens pointed out of the opening and you won't have to worry too much about the rain.

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 12:05 PM

Hi Paula,

Thank you for answering my post it is nice to meet you. It should be a wonderful trip for you and your friends. Alaska is just fantastic. There is another active thread or discussion going on for this cruise at Cruisecritic.com. with a lot of members who are going on the trip. Also if you go to the Royal Caribbean site and click on Info & Extraís (on the left-hand side) then notice on the page that opens on the right is a window, nine links down, is a link to Cruise Critic Parties, just click on that. It will take you to a place to register for a party. So far there are seventeen registered. We need to get to twenty-five before they will provide the party. Thought you might like to know. I look forward to meeting you and wish you a great cruise. If you get a chance check out the board, there are others from all over the country and a couple from Australia that are going.

Have a great cruise,

Dave

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 12:50 PM

Hi Again Paula,

Sorry. Forgot to thank you for the camera tip. That 10X opitcal zoom you have should be great for Alaska. That is a nice camera. How long have you had it? You should get some beautiful pictures. Mine is a little smaller, only has a 4X optical zoom with a 2X optional converter but is capable of shooting in a RAW mode.

Isn't the technology exciting.

Have a great day.

I look forward to meeting you and your husband.

Again thank you,

Dave

Paula May 11th, 2003 01:03 PM

Thanks Dave. I went ahead and registered and will try to get my friends to do the same. I just hope we all can stay awake for the party seeing as we have a 4 hr. time difference! I told my friends that we'll be eating supper at 12:30 every night.

Paula May 11th, 2003 01:17 PM

Dave
Ive had the camera for several years ( it's not the one your thinking of this one is 20x digital zoom, but I still love it 120 pictures @ 1600 x 1200) I also have a small mavica that uses floppy disks and a sony Hi 8 digital camcorder. I'm a bit of a picture nut 'cause I'll also be bringing my cannon slr with a zoom lens for the pop up sea life and you know I'll never catch them with a digital! and also an aps camera for those panarama shots. I asked my husband if he thought 5 mini CD's would be too many to bring and he said that knowing me I'd better bring about 20!! (lol)

Looking forward to seeing you and I'm sooooo ready for this vacation. And no matter what happens this trip is GOING to measure up to my expectations.

paula

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 05:03 PM

Hi Paula,

You must be on second seating. Have you ever been to Alaska before?

Dave

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 05:22 PM

Hi Paula,

I would really like to take my SLR and filters and lenses. But as I get older I am not focusing as fast and it is a manual. I picked up a point and shoot a 135mm Canon Sure Shot a couple years ago and it does a great job. The thing I like the best is the built in flash. But there is something about the old SLR. I just love to hear the shutter. It still might make it, but am trying to just use my Canon G-3 and an AGFA digital for lower resolution.

Are you taking the movie camera? Also mini disks don't take up much room. You will take far more pictures than you could ever imagine if you haven't ever been there before and the weather is good. There is a photo op around every corner. I went through twenty rolls my first trip.

Good to speak with you.

Dave

Paula May 11th, 2003 05:38 PM

Dave
I'm taking everything that will take a picture since I've never been to Alaska. I know what you mean about the eyes, so many times I look at the LCD play back of my pics and am angry that they are not any better than they are until I remember to put on my reading glasses! Great improvement!! I bought a suedo leather back pack that has wheels and a handle to pull it and plan on carting all my equipment around with me everywhere. If it gets too cumbersome.........that's what I'm bringing my husband for! (lol)

paula

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 06:48 PM

Hi Paula,

Those back packs with the wheels sure help.

Alaska is the place to take lots of pictures. It is just beautiful and once you think it couldn't possibly get any better. It does and continues to surprise you. You are really going to enjoy it.

Have you checked out the Cruisecritic board for our sailing. You might want to. Just go to cruisecritic.com and do a search for Radiance.

Speak with you later,

Dave

Paula May 11th, 2003 07:37 PM

Dave
Ive checked out so many web sites that I don't think I can absorb any more. I even checked out a web site on Stonehenge.com where a guy posted all his pictures of Alaska (he's gone on many geek cruises) including the picture of a barf bag on a float plane! I think he's more of a picture hound than myself. Cruise critics web site is not as user friendly as this one is, but I have been trying to pop btween the two. This will probably be my last post till next weekend, as my job keeps me out long hours and when I get home as everyone knows...a womans work is never done.

paula

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 07:53 PM

Hi Paula,

This is an easy site to navigate. I have a slow connection so don't download many pictures. It just takes toooo long. Enjoy your week.

Dave

richard May 11th, 2003 08:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Dave,
Only been up there once, (ferry from Skagway to Pr. Rupert) but did live in Prince Rupert BC for 9 years. That's 90mi south of Ketchikan so am familiar with the weather. In most years I think May/early June was decent, the main plus being the lack of sea fog (more fog in August).

I will be packing both cameras, but no additional lenses for the SLR- at 20yrs old it still takes great pics.

richard

mgbgt May 11th, 2003 11:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hi Richard,

My SLR's are old too, Olympus OM's. What is yours?

Have you checked out eBay for any lenses? It is great for older camera stuff.

Also isn't Prince Rupert where the cruise ships pick up the Pilot and drop them off?

Well its late and was just checking the board, got to get some shut eye.

Later,

Dave

richard May 12th, 2003 12:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Dave,
Using my trusty Yashika. I also have a 35mm wide angle and 70-200 zoom. Can't remember the last time I used the zoom, kinda heavy! I'm sure I'll have that one for a few more years! I do prefer the Sure Shot for ship pics though, as it has a built-in flash.

To answer your other question, yes. There is a "pilot station" just off Triple Island light station which is west of Prince Rupert. I guess it depends on whether you go up Grenville Channel (truly inside) or Hecate Strait to the west, but that is the area.

It'll be nice to go back up that way, haven't seen that area for 6 years now. Plus we'll be back up there at the end of July for a wedding.

richard

mgbgt May 12th, 2003 04:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiance Alaska 5-31-03

Hi Richard,

My brother had a Yashica that he got in the seventies in the Service. He really liked his but wasnít big on taking pictures and lost track of it years ago. Like you said, the older lenses can be a tad heavy, but there is nothing like using them with a classic camera. They just sound and feel right. The precision amazes me. This will be my first trip without mine; my eyes arenít what they once were and like you said, the point and shoots have the built-in flash.

Also am cutting down to free up a hand.

Only a couple more weeks to go,

Dave