Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Default Misty Fjords Flightseeing

We are going on our first Alaskan Cruise on Celebrity Mercury from Vancouver departing June 15 with our 2 boys ages 15 and 10. We are finding the choice of shore excursions overwhelming and the decisions to book separatedly or through the cruise ship confusing. We would like to do a flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. I have narrowed it down to 3 companies that I can book independently; Island Wings, Carlin air and Family Air. They sem to offer a longer flight with a longer stopover for a little less money. Any advice from anyone who has booked with these charters? Thanks. Carol
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Any of these would be great choices, well run companies. Book with who fits your time best.
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Yakker

Default Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

We went with an extremely good company, Misty Fjords Air, the oldest flying service in Ketchikan.They are a father, son team and have a Dehavilland Beaver and a Cessna 185. They do an awesome shore side stop in the Fjords where you can get out and walk around. Their web site is also really cool, with sound effects from the plane.
www.mistyfjords.com
Old May 24th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Passenger

we were in Ketchikan last week and we went with Island Wings for Misty Fjord flight seeing. They land on the lake, let you get out of the plane and walk around for half an hour. It is a fantastic tour. Here is the link http://www.islandwings.com
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to robinfield
Default Re: Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Good to hear as i am booked on the same flight did you see any bears or wildlife?
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Not sure when you will be there. May is too early for bears. We saw some sea lions. What really impressed us is the fjord itself. Beautiful.
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

If you want to see wildlife you should check out the wildlife safari trip with Misty Fjords Air, our friends just did that trip in mid May (we went on the Misty Fjords trip). They came back and had seen whales, sea otters, seals and bears!! Out trip with Davy Douyon was really great but I want to go back now and do the safari trip. Our trip showed us that Alaska deserves more than just a flying visit. Web address is listed under Yakker reply. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:23 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Robin, don't plan on bears or other wildlife other than eagles or birds in Misty Fjords, This is primarily a scenic trip. Island Wings bear trips to Anan are the place to see those, Check out her website as noted above.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Browezilla

Another favorable recommendation for Island Air! We flew with them 2 years ago, and it was excellent. The comments above about stopping on a small island in the middle of a lake are spot on. What a great trip it was.
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Walter Welshman

I was lucky enough to stop over in Ketchikan for a couple of weeks on my round the world trip.

I got to fly with Misty Fjords Flightseeing and other floatplane charters, but would highly recommend Misty Fjords Flightseeing for the pure facts of professionalism and the comfort of the private touch, its as if the flight is tailored for you!

You get such character in the Dehavilland Beaver the original bush plane, which makes the experience right from the start. Then with the scenery, wildlife and Wilderness Lake landing you will be smiling from ear to ear....

It truly is one of the best experiences I have had so far and I thank the pilot Davey Doyon for this great experience!!

Highly Recommended
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:12 AM
MissyB

I'm a first time cruiser on Celebrity leaving 6/6 on the Summit out of Vancouver. All of the flightseeing companies that have been mentioned here sound great, but the cruiseline has instilled such fear in me that we will be left behind if we are hung up and don't book through them, that I have gotten all of my shore excursions through them. Am I crazy?
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Passenger

We are going on the same cruise leaving July 4. I would be very interested in your experience. All our excursions are booked through Celebrity. First time cruisers to Alaska so hesitant to book separately until we know the ropes. Also taking the 6 day landtour as far as Fairbanks after the cruise. How dressy are people dressed for dinner during the cruise (other than formal nights).
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Admiral

All of the flightseeing companies that have been mentioned here sound great, but the cruiseline has instilled such fear in me that we will be left behind if we are hung up and don't book through them, that I have gotten all of my shore excursions through them. Am I crazy?

Your concern is groundless. Many many cruisers independently book tours. The cruiselines make significant revene off ship tours. A major consideration- you are still in the US with high business standards. Always book your tours for early in your port day, take the recommendations of the operators and always disclose what ship you are on.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Admiral

We are going on the same cruise leaving July 4. I would be very interested in your experience. All our excursions are booked through Celebrity. First time cruisers to Alaska so hesitant to book separately until we know the ropes

You'll be surprised as some of the significant mark ups imposed by the cruiseline. All ports are extremely small and easy to independently book. Some cruiseline tours can be "cattle calls", loaded on a bus with fellow cruisers, large groups, seasonal guides and dropped back off at the ship. You will get a lot more of Alaska exposure going independent.
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Celia

If you book on the ship you will never meet the Doyons at Misty Fjords Air and that would be a shame. Get online at www.mistyfjordsair.com
If you stick with the crowds you will miss out.
We loved our trip with these guys.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:43 PM
A;aska Bound

Eyes,

I am a first time cruiser going to Alaska on Island Princess on Aug 9th and had same concerns. I booked all tours except the Misty Fjords tour through the Ship as it's our 20th and I don't want to think about anything except the experience. The Ships Misty Fjords Tour doesn't allow you to Stop and get out and walk around whereas the Non-ship tours do.
I hope this isn't construed as an advertisement for Carlin Air. I just did some research and they appealed to me.
The three Companies you mentioned all looked good to me but I decided Carlin Air because:
1. They use the DeHavilland Beaver (I love that plane)
2. Excellent Safety record (all three you mentioned had good safety records) that I found at: http://www.alaska.faa.gov/flt_std/Sy...teoperator.pdf
3. The Pilot, Jeff Carlin, has 15,000 hours and has been flying in southeast Alaska for 23 years.
4. I had to pick one.

If you get left behind, there are plenty of Air Charters to take you to the next Port.

Alaska Bound
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Admiral

For information- Jeff used to be Island Wings, he split this year and now runs his own company.
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:15 AM
A;aska Bound

Thanks Karen16. I saw his name mentioned with Island Wings on some older sites and wondered what was up. Have you had any experience with him?

Alaska Bound
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Yes I have flown with both Jeff and Michelle via Island Wings. Also Taquan
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:41 PM
MissyB

Thanks to all of you who convinced me that I should go ahead and book my flightseeing trip outside of the cruiseship shore excursions. I have booked with Misty Fjords Air...I can't wait.
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:45 PM
celia

Im happy for you and you will not be disappointed. These guys will make your day!! You will be really glad you booked off the ship and you will save money too.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:24 AM
dustyroad

Default Re: Re: Re: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

eyes,

glad to hear all the great things about carlin air and jeff. i have booked with them for sept because they sounded really good to me too. i sent a email to them and with in minutes lorraine called me back to make arraingements. she was very nice and helpful and really put me at ease about the trip and how easy it is to get set up with them at the pier. so now all i have to do is get the cruise here. i dont think sept is ever going to get here. dusty
Old June 7th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Anyone worried about missing the boat when booking independent tours should absolutely not worry. First, you can book an early tour by reserving well ahead of your arrival and second, as explained earlier, they depend on cruise ship passengers. They would not have a good reputation if they had clients who missed their ship. Karen has listed many reputable operators.
Old June 7th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Delores

We were on the Vision of the Seas last Sept. & we went all the way into Misty Fjords & the Captain turned the ship around at the end. It was towards evening & an absolutely gorgeous trip. No matter how you see it, it is worth it!!
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Dear Carol,

We have just finished our family cruise through Alaska. While in Ketchikan we had many choices of Misty Fjords flightseeing operators to use. We chose to fly with the oldest operator in Ketchikan called Misty Fjords Air.

They were not on a tight schedule and took extra time to show us bears and mountain goats. Our seaplane captain Davy Doyon really made this excursion special for us.

I hope you have a great trip to the Misty Fjords.

Here is where we booked our flight,

www.mistyfjordsair.com
(877) 228-4656 toll free
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Beginner

Dear MissyB,

You are not crazy. Something to consider while booking through the cruise lines is that you will be paying a 30%-40% markup for the same tour.

Here is a tip that will save you money and guarntee you a better time on your excursion.
Book through an independent company, they offer a more personalized tour of better quality for less money. Do not worry about being left behind this doen not happen ever.

Last summer we took a flightseeing tour with Misty Fjords Air and had a wonderful time. They took the time to show us Brown Bears in the Misty Fjords.

We landed at our very own wilderness lake and got to take a walk on the beach. This is something that made the difference for us.

Check out their website. www.mistyfjordsair.com
Call them toll free (877) 228-4656