Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Passenger

Default Mendenhall Glacier

I know this is a long shot, but I'd really appreciate your help. I'm trying to decide which time to take this excursion and I've seen pictures of people who all stand in the same spot with the glacier behind them. My question is do you remember what time of day you were there and was the sun facing in your direction for a good picture? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Mendenhall Glacier

I have been to Mendenhall all different times. Having the sun out would be your bonus. Don't worry about the time and fit it in when convenient. If you have an adjustable camera, take several shots at different exposures, if not move around and shoot at different angles. You are bound to get something good!!!!!
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Mendenhall Glacier

My question was in which direction does the sun rise and set. I've seen pictures of people standing by the fence in the park in front of the glacier. Since I have a choice of which time to book the excursion now, I need to know if I'm standing by the fence will the sun be facing my face for a good photo or will the sun be behind me?

Professional photographers plan their shooting time around the sun's direction for the best picture, not when it's conveient for them. Obviously if it's a cloudy day I'll have to work around that. But I'm only going there once, the cruiseline is giving me a choice of times, so I'd like to plan my day around that so I can have good pictures.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:18 PM
SantaHarry

Default Re: Re: Re: Mendenhall Glacier

I've been to Juneau 3 times and not even seen the sun there. Mpast pictures were taken at the entrance amplitheater and taken in the noon time frame.
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mendenhall Glacier

I am also a former Pro Photographer and it is useless trying to predict a "correct" time. Best would be to forget about a ship tour and just take the shuttle out there when conditions look good and plan an extended time there?? Also excellent viewing from Alaska University. Better yet consider a rental car?? (verify shuttles to airport, some don't and a cab would be $25+ each way for a pick up, Rent A Wreck has downtown pick up). The face of the glacier is probably northeast? There are several different angle viewpoints you could move to, to allow a slight variation of point of view. Be sure to take a variety of filters as well to enhance your opportunities