Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Tinker

Default Alaska Cruise

May 27, 2003

Hello,

I am going on the Princess Cruises' 7-day cruise to Alaska from Seward to Vancouver
on the Coral Princess. We will be there from May 31 - June 7. Anyone going our way.
Has anyone ever cruised on this ship before ?? any comments??

Any advice on seeking alternate excursions that are independant of the cruise ship??
Any advice on cost savings such as cheaper and better excursions than what the
cruise ship offers?? I feel the excursion by the cruise lines are very expensive, and
too short.

Any cooments would be highly appreciated,

ken
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Cruise

You need to post your intersts and what tours are you interested in??? I never book ship excursions and dealing direct is easy and always better for me. Budget carefully, and don't skimp on tours.
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Hello

We're on the same cruise, same ship - 1st time cruisers and very excited. We're taking the White Pass train trip/Bernard Lake kayaking out of Skagway, A.m. fishing and then Mendenhall Glacier helicopter trip out of Juneau. Nothing booked for Ketchikan - playing it by ear. Would like to hike there if possible. Heard Perserverance Trail and Ward Lake are possibilities? Our trips were booked independently. I hope we've made wise choices - guess we'll find out soon!
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Admiral

A.m. fishing and then Mendenhall Glacier helicopter trip out of Juneau. Nothing booked for Ketchikan - playing it by ear. Would like to hike there if possible. Heard Perserverance Trail and Ward Lake are possibilities? Our trips were booked independently

A great deal depends what you are fishing for???? If fly fishing, then I would recommend Juneau otherwise, Ketchikan is far better all the way around- you should be near peak for Kings. Ward Lake will require a rental car, I have rented from Alaska car rental several times. In the past they have allowed me to drop off at the dock.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Karen. We have a 4 person charter reserved in Juneau for salmon, halibut etc. But better to switch it to Ketchikan, (if we can at this late date)?

Is Ward Lake worth the effort? Other possibilities for hiking in Ketchikan?

Thanks for all of your responses to all on this site. When I see your name, I definitely make a note of your advice! I quote you often to my cruise-mates. "Well, Karen16 says............."
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Admiral

I would verify what you are in season for on your fishing. Ketchikan would be cheaper, but if halibut is your priority you have to go to 'proven" areas. Perserverance Trail is the best out of Ketchikan in my opinion, there is Deer Mt, that is walkable from town but not as good in my experience.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise

SROSE: we are booked on the August 16th cruise from Vancouver to Seward. We too have booked the White Pass - Kayaking Bernard Lake. You'll have to let me know how it was. Our excursion is booked for the one that leaves at 7:40am and returns at 12:15 pm.