Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Motion Sickness

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the wristband that is supposed to stave off motion sickness.

I am on Holland America Hubbard Bay cruise on June 1st. I am a first timer and also my first time in Alaska

First Timer
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Motion Sickness

Do you have a history of motion sickness? I have no recommendation for the wrist bands. If you ask a pharmacist - they will tell you it works on a placebo effect. Some cruisers swear by them but would they have been ill without it???? If you are prone there are several good products, discuss your options with your health care provider. A costly cruise is no place to "wait and see". It is also a MYTH that Alaska sailings are "smooth as glass", definately not true.
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:56 AM
MLM

My daughter is very prone to sea sickness and the Relief Band came highly recommended. It normally sells for $79. but I got it for $59 (no tax and free shipping) through www.drugstore.com
It's expensive but I've heard it really works well!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Yeoman

I would try out anything you buy before you go to see if it has any unwanted side efects. All week long on our cruise, DH complained of being tired. He wanted to sleep a lot, didn't pay attention to people speaking to him and was very irritable. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. I was ready to send him to the doctor as soon as we got home. The last formal night we planned to go dancing. On our first dance, he started stumbling and forgetting how to do basic dance steps. He commented that he almost felt as if he had been drugged. Light bulb goes on! The Bromine was giving him all these side effects. Once we realized the problem and it got out of his system, he was fine. We didn't get seasick though! Enjoy your cruise!
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Are you referring to Bonine???? Doses can be adjusted from anywhere from 1/2 a tab to 2. It may also be better to take it every night before bedtime. I work in the medical field and the wrist bands get no recommendation due to the strong placebo effect.
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I am prone to motion sickness I will probably stick with the pills for now. My trip is only a few days away so I don't think I can test out the band this time.

First Timer
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Delores

Default Re: Re: Motion Sickness

I usually use Bonine as I tend to get carsick, but have never really gotten seasick. They have it at the Purser's Desk, but I start taking it the day before. Yes, it can make you a little sleepy, so I take it at bedtime. Probably not a good idea to take it & drink alcohol, tho.
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Unless they have changed, Princess did not have any free Bonine, they sold it in their shop. Also the free pills on one of the lines, I think HAL, had the short acting 4 hour Draminine?? Again this could have definately changed. The 24 hour action is a definate preference so you don't get the "highs and lows" with the action and drowsiness. Less on the long acting.