Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Wookie

Default Cheap Things to do....

We are going to Alaska in July and after the cost of the boat, and expensive side trips like whale watching, glacier treking, and kayaking the wallet will be running thin....

So are there any good things to do that do not cost a lot of money? For example, getting a bike and riding to someplace w/ nice scenery (10 Miles round trip or so). In Juneau the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center and the Mountain tram look to be nice cheap adventures, any other diamonds in the rough?
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Andee Bram

Default Re: Cheap Things to do....

What ports?
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cheap Things to do....

I have an extensive list of ideas for budget ideas. Most important is to request each port's visitor guide. But I would skimp anywhere else in favor of tours, with flights my passion. Walking tours are excellent in each port, take out the Foder's Alaska book for your library, good routes listed. The Mt. Robert's tram gets a low priority from me. More beneficial with a late departure for a twilight/ night time ride up. Biking is best out of Skagway in my opinon.
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:48 PM
hocgy

Default Re: Re: Cheap Things to do....

we just got back from alaska and only did one port tour and did not do it with the boat
in ketchikan we sea kayaked for $76 per person. at the the ports we made sure to hit the national park visitors centers we had a season pass for $50 for the 8 in our party
we got a great deal for the mendahall glacier maybe cause we had 8 people we did a juneau city tour and the glacier for $12 with the blue bus and it was raining so they were happy to sell the trip. in skagway we took the city bus to the cemetary and did the national park movies and such. we were not much into flying and had seen and hiked exit glacier in seward. we also had rented an rv and drove to denali and the kenai penisula for 8 people was cheaper than any 2 or 3 hour excursions would have been from the ship for 8...