Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to mommyinpj
Default Juneau Shore Trips

We are looking at going on a whale watch in Juneau. Day or evening? Any difference?

Also my daughter has been doing some reading and is interested in Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure. Is this worthwhile?

Is a tour necessary for Mendenhall Glacier or can we just wing it.

Is there a preferred salmon hatchery or are they all about the same? We seem to be overbooking ourselves in Juneau, is there a better hatchery in Ketchican or Sitka?
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Juneau Shore Trips

The only slight difference in whale watching may be to go during low tide, but I would book who fits my time best. I went to Glacier gardens when it was still a project in the works, hopefully someone with more recent contact can post. If you are interested in gardens and can't get to Vancouver/ Victoria gardens, it may be a good choice. there are no tours of Mendenhall Glacier,- you could take a CITY/glaicer combo bus tour, but they only drop off for about 20 mins and you go on your own. You have that option as well shuttle bus just to the glacier, cab or rental car. At the glacier the rangers have free activites scheduled varied and usually suitable for most everyone, visitor center admission is $3. Great hiking trails. Juneau is the largest hatchery available to visitors. You can easily get there via city bus- it is a long walk from downtown, there are sometimes 2 for 1 rates on their brochures at visitor centers. There is a small hatchery in Ketchikan, walkable from the ship, also they offer a combo ticket for about $10 with the Totem Heritage Museum across from the hatchery. Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center.