Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM
RSMBob

Default Cruising to Alaska w/pregnant wife, 4 year old son...suggest

Hi all,

Through a whirlwind of last-minute things going on, my family is about to emabark on our first cruise longer than a weekend...we are going to be onboard the Crystal Harmony sailing out of San Frncisco the end of this month.

We want to do some fun things, but as noted, my wife is 4+ months pregnant (it's a girl!) and we will have our very active 4 year old son with us. I know Crystal isn't known for being the most kid-friendly cruise line around, especially for 4 year olds, but we are looking forward to having fun onboard the ship and at the ports of Victoria, Vancouver, Sitka, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Given the situation with my wife and son, I am looking for ideas and recommendations for land programs/shore excursions that we could do together and enjoy (and hopefully not break the bank). I know we are going to do the White Pass Railway in Skagway (as my son and I are train enthusiasts), and I am an avid amateur photogrpaher as well.

Any and all ideas, recommendations, suggestion and advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising to Alaska w/pregnant wife, 4 year old son...sug

Whale watching in Juneau, The train ride in Skagway is very good for kids but a little slow for grown-ups, Misty Fjords is wonderful by boat or sea plane, any of the glacier visits are interesting but may be a bit adventurous given the circumstances. Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier are good kick back and watch the scenery go by on the ship day. If I get any more ideas, I'll post them here.
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising to Alaska w/pregnant wife, 4 year old son...sug

You need to look over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Flights are the top attraction and I would recommend doing at least one, with a glacier helicopter landing my top choice.
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Cruising to Alaska w/pregnant wife, 4 year old son..

i am booked with 'chillkoot charters and tours' in skagway. they have a great white summitt trip and free gold panning tour for only $35. it will be great fun and they are very reasonable in their cost. it is 3 hours long and i will still have time to do some wandering around on my own after wards. i hope you have a wonderful cruise and that all of you will have fun.