Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Passenger

Default Alaskan Cruisetour

Has anyone taken one of RCCL's Alaskan Cruisetours? Would love to read a review of not only the cruise portion but also the land tour.

I would appreicate any information you have.

Thanks,

LindaM
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alaskan Cruisetour

Hi! We just got back from the Legend of the Seas on 6-13-03. We took land tour first
for four days and then cruised for seven. The coaches were very comfortable and our
cruise director and bus driver were fantastic. The lodges were very nice and we saw
some beautiful scenery. It was quite warm and never rained on our land tour. It only
rained while viewing the Hubbard Glacier and it was more of a real misty rain. After
four days on land and living out of a suitcase, we were ready to get on the ship and
relax. The service and food was excellent. The ship wasn't full which also made it
nice. We had a balcony and I hardly ever put a coat on to go out and watch the scenery.
It was my husband's idea to go to Alaska and I wasn't really excited about it. With the
weather being so nice, I really enjoyed the whole experience.
Old June 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks Crystal! It sounds good on all accounts. We are planning on doing the Cruisetour in late June/04 and appreciate hearing some great remarks on it.

We have always enjoyed our cruises with RCCL but wasn't sure how good the land tours would be.

Thanks again,

Linda
Old June 18th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Admiral

For information only- be very certain what you are purchasing on a tour. Descriptions are vague (I get a lot of emails with "problems" of cruisers asking for info on how to fix them). I don't recommend any less than a 7 day tour- too much time is in transit on shorter tours compared to the actual time at the destination. Most important- if your priority is wildlife- be certain to have the Tundra wildlife tour and NOT the Natural History. Be aware - rail Anchorage- Denali Park is 8 hours, bus 5+, Denali Park- Fairbanks- rail 4 hours, bus 2+. Any advertisement of "extra" Denali Park options- hiking, ranger guided activities, sled dog demos are free to anyone. If on Princess - the McKinley lodge is 100 miles from the Denali Park entrance ( a lot of people email me thinking this location affords them another day doing park activities) you are 40 miles from Talkeetna- where most of the tours go out of. Bottom line- be informed and purchase what is right for you, as a side note, going on your own will allow twice the activities at 1/2 the cost. Far more "real Alaska " too.