Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:57 PM
kem

Default Float Plane

Only 12 day to the Star Princess. What are your thoughts from those who have taken the float plane trip to Mist Fjords in Ketchikan? Six of us in the family have signed up (Dad wanted to sign up through Princess) and wanted to know the fear factor. I don't mind jets, but this small guy has me a little nervous...thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:07 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Float Plane

Don't worry, been on float planes a dozen times or so, in all kinds of weather. The scenery is fantastic, as you are flying rather slow, say 100 mph or so. You're seeing everything up close. It's great!

Those old Beavers and Otters were built tough. Remember they have floats and in the rare event of an engine shutdown they can glide to a safe landing on the water, of which there is lots around. So relax and take lots of pics.

richard
Old June 17th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Admiral

I too have taken plenty of flight trips, but you are better off booking direct though the many venders out of Ketchikan. Main advantage is price-around $189 and second usually a land landing allowing you a short walk off the plane, ship tours only water land- allow you a brief walk out on the pontoons then return. I have flown Misty fjords several times and it can be a "roller coaster" flight with dipping in and out of the fjords. Many excellent companies to choose from, Carlin Air, Misty Fjords Air, Island Wings, Taquan, Southeast Aviation etc... However, my experience only, this is a distant second to any glacier helicopter landing which is the best of the best in my opinion.
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Passenger

We are also sailing the Star Princess to Alaska but not for another 24 days. Our first Alaska sailing and we are very anxious. We too booked the float plane trip and I must say I'm anxious about that as well. My husband talked me into it. The last "small plane" experience I had was flying over the Grand Canyon and we did NOT have a good flight. I thought our time was up!! Needless to say I have not booked another small plane since soooo, I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I was told the helicopter is a better tour but I just don't think I'm ready for that yet! Thanks for the words of encouragement Richard and kem....would love to hear how you enjoyed your trip when you return. Looks like you're leaving about 2 weeks before us. Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old June 19th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Just got back last week. Went with Family Air float plane trip out of Ketchikan. I have to agree with Karen16, this is only secondary to glacier landings. The float plane is a great experience. It is a little noisy but you have headsets that allow you to hear commentary and communicate to each other. The views of the Misty Fjords are not to be missed. We landed on a lake and proceeded to the shoreline where we were allowed to spend 1/2 hr walking arround. It is so peaceful and serene there. Not a sould was in sight and the views are breathtaking. Float planes are a little more bumpier than helicopter tours and I won't say you won't be nervous at first. After a while, you will be able to relax and enjoy the tour.