Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2003, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SeaTac Delays

Our local news stations are reporting serious delays for security screening at SeaTac airport. The blame is being placed on "several cruise ships unloading thousands of passengers" at the same time on Saturday. Delays of up to an hour and a half are being reported. They are expecting this to continue the rest of the summer on "cruise ship days".

Check your return flight times if you are traveling through SeaTac and be sure you have enough time if you hit the hour and half delay. Especially important if you are coming down from Canada and have already been delayed at the border.

Hope this info saves someone from missing a flight home.

Mary L.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: SeaTac Delays

We flew out of SeaTac yesterday and were pleasantly surprised. For two days the lead story on the Seattle news had been the delays at the airport, with stories on Sunday of two-hour waits just in the security lines - which went up the escalator and through the airport to the exit doors. Some were suggesting that travelers allow 4-5 hours to get to the airport and through to your gate.

We had a 10:30 flight and had planned to leave our downtown hotel by 7:15. We had problems that led to us not leaving for the airport until after 8:00. We were sweating it! We only spent around 30 minutes at check-in and around 30 minutes in the security lines and made it to the gate with no problems.

The lines were longer than what we normally see in airports, but not nearly as bad as the news made us believe. I would definitely allow plenty of time, especially on the week end with the cruisers coming in and out. The one thing that we noticed was the courtesy of the staff at SeaTac. We dealt with several different staff and were treated with respect and good humor each time.
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:57 PM
SF Sharon

If I understand correctly, the problem with delays at Sea-Tac are not on a daily basis, but when numerous cruise ships disembark passengers on the same day, e.g. Saturdays.

Maybe that's why Willy didn't have the problem that Mary reported.
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Willy was very lucky!

The problem is now reported as not enough TSA screeners so that a number of the security screening stations are not staffed. At peak times the lines are extending out of the terminal building and into the parking garage (according to the latest news reports).

It is not just on "cruise ship weekends" but whenever the number of passengers exceed the limit of the screening stations that are operational.

They are currently asking people to arrive 2 hours before their flight time but most folks are showing up 3 or more hours early to be safe.

The current rumour is that several flights left SeaTac 2 or more hours late today because they couldn't get their passengers through security.

The airlines are trying to work out a solution with TSA as they are getting major grief from their customers over the problems at SeaTac.

Mary L.
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Wow! I think I'm glad that we booked our flight from Phila to Seattle the day BEFORE our cruise. Then, returning home we are on an 11pm flight back to Philadelphia. According to the cruiseline schedule, we will be arriving back to the Seattle Port approximately 7am. We were a bit aggitated that we'd have to figure ot what to do with ourselves (and our bags!!) for the entire day. Well, problem solved! We are renting a car and we'll just sightsee or do "whatever" until its time to get to the airport. I think with the above information, I'm rather glad that we're not departing Seattle until 11pm.
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:54 AM
CSEMom

Default Re: Re: SeaTac Delays

Charlotte,

When are you going, and what ship? We are from South Jersey leaving 7/2 for cruise on HAL Amsterdam 7/5.
Make sure to go to Pikes PLace Market. The Locks are cool, too, although after being to Alaska you might not care to see Salmon swimming!

Nancy
Old June 27th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Passenger

CSEMom,
We leave for Seattle on Friday July 11th from Phila airport. We are cruising the inside passage on july 12th with Princess Star. We'll be right behind you I guess. I'm excited...our first cruise to Alaska...well, this is only our 2nd cruise overall. We cruised Royal Caribbean last year and enjoyed it so much, here we are again!! The Pikes Place Market is right there at the pier? Someone said there is a waterfront type thing (like In Baltimore I presume); that is Pikes Place??
Old June 28th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Pikes Market- is up the HILL from the dock- but not pier 30 which is out in the middle of nowhere.
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:22 AM
CSEMom

Default Re: Re: SeaTac Delays

Pike's Place Market is in downtown Seattle. It is easy to get to. Another interesting place is Pioneer Square-they have a underground walking tour of the area. We've done that ac ouple of times. There are some great walking tours of Seattle available. It's a good way to kill the time before your flight.

Nancy