Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:27 PM
davewe

Default Recommendations for travel with Young child

We are trying to schedule our excursions for our upcoming cruise 7/5-7/12 on the Zaandam. We have a 3 1/2 year old (as well as a 7 year old). We are trying to do at least one or 2 things that are not too pedestrian but will still meet the needs of a precocious 3 year old. We have thought of a raft trip at the Bald Eagle Preserve in Haines.

Any suggestions?

dave
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Recommendations for travel with Young child

What are your ports and budget??? Unfortunately, I don't recommend many tours for very young children- they are costly and involved, flights are my top recommendation but again usually not appropriate for very young children. A lot of tours don't have "down time" or the ability to "get away" and having a restless or uninterested child can make for unhappy travelers. You may want to consider looking at shorter bus tours in port, consider walking tours, etc. The raft tour in Haines is usually 4 hours, usually too long for a 3 year old with the added ferry time if you are not porting in Haines. Wildlife is brief and distant.
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Recommendations for travel with Young child

We just returtned on the 15th. Cruised with a two year old and five year old. The five year old never left the ship; having too much fun with her new friends in the childrens program. In Skagway we took a 3 hour motorcoach tour up through White Pass to the Canadian Yukon. (The 2 year old came with us on all tours) Lots to see and many stops along the way to get out and run around. Booked it independently on the main street. Cost 25.00 for adults and my boy was free.
In Juneau we took the Mt. Roberts tram. Hiked for two hours. Watched the movie in the center about the Native Americans. Did the nature center. Took a trolley around town. Walked quite a bit. Saw the governors mansion etc. Saw a few eagles flying around town. Played in the public park.
In Ketchikan it was drizzling but we walked to the salmon hatchery and totem museum, both of which fascinated my boy.Took the bus to the mendenhall glacier ;booked independently for $10.00 per person, my boy being free once again.
We did not book any turs through the cruise line as we did not know what the weather would be like or my sons attention span. Both , it turned out were great.
We'll do this cruise again next year.