Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:38 AM
Passenger

Default Okay, lets say I am running late.....

Saw on other posts that passengers have been left behind. How closely do the Cruise Ships keep the posted time that you are given? Interested in hearing from Spirit travelers, and others. Lets say the ship is leaving at 5 pm, does it leave at 5, 5/10, 5/20 or even 455? Thanks, I really do not plan on running late, but if something happens, would like to know if I have any time to spare. Thanks.......
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Cruiseryyc

Default Re: Okay, lets say I am running late.....

When the ship says its leaving at 5:00 you can pretty well count on it leaving at 5:00. The only time it will wait is if a cruise sponsored tour is late getting back to the ship. If you're late getting back you'll end up spending way more money then you had planned on trying to catch up to the ship. Many times I've watched little boats chasing down the ship as she sailed away, then the ship has to slow down to let the "late comers" onboard.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 09:20 AM
Delores

In 1998, we took the train trip up the mountain, & because another train had trouble we had to pick up those passengers. We were about 1/2 hr late coming back. The ship had already raised the gangplank but since there were several hundred from our ship, they waited for us. That was a bit scarey. You wouldn't want to miss the ship!!
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Admiral

I am a firm believer in planing on ending tours seveal hours before your ship sails. It is also important to note that usually you have to be back on board a 1/2 hour before the sailing time. I have been on plenty of ships leaving late, but unfortunately you can't predict the future. With Alaska ports walkable to the ship, I find no excuse except with the cruiser for missing the ship.
Old July 7th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Gary Karschnick

This happen in the Caribbean rather than Alaska, but the situation was similar. At each port, there was a woman who strolled back to the ship just barely arriving at departure time. Her attitude just made everyone mad. She was important! At the 3rd or 4th stop, she wasn't as close as before and when the ship blew it's whistle, she was still about a block away. She started walking faster. At a half block away, the ship again blew it's whistle and she started jogging. At a quarter block away, the gangway started coming up and she broke into a dead run. She arrived at the dock 5 minutes late and watched the ship sail away. Most of the passengers were on deck and let out a hugh roar that she was left behind. She stood there and glowered.

I think she went home from there because we never saw her again on the ship for the rest of the cruise. The point is, yes, you may get left behind if you are late. They have a schedule to keep.

On our last trip to Alaska, there was a young couple who had not returned at a half hour prior to departure from Skagway. One of their friends volunteered to try and find them and took off for town running. At one or two minutes prior to departure, they all arrived running for the ship and just made it on board. We heard that the wife assured her husband that the ship would not leave them and she wanted to do a little more shopping. They were lucky to have a friend to get them.
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Captain

I have to say that I think they leave on time, and I wouldn't risk it. In Alaska, there's lots of shopping very close to the ship in Ketchikan and Juneau, so you can linger in that area until boarding if you like to stretch it as long as possible. We traveled to Europe by ship in May, and everyone laughed when I told them that we drug in from Amsterdam (our last port) out of Euros and out of time, so I understand your desire to make it last.
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nan,
Yep, have to agree, when they say they are leaving at a certain time, they do in most cases, so plan on being back onboard way before that time, don't want to take any chances. We usually try to be back an hour before the scheduled leaving time and it always works well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:38 PM
JamieJ

Default Re: Re: Okay, lets say I am running late.....

Just got back from Alaska and a women got left in Juneau. We watched her as the boat left..............waving her arms hysterically. It isn't worth it...........be at the boat 30 minutes prior to departure. I'm sure anyone that is left ends up paying a lot to get to the next port.
Old August 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Yeoman

Yep , Its true ! Believe it, they will leave you without a doubt. I've only been on 3 cruises, and on all 3, there has been somebody that tries the system.
I'm the kind-a-person that if I need to be somewhere at 5.00, I'll be there at 4-4.30. But on a cruiseship, if the man say's 5.00, I'm there at 3.00.No exceptions. And I only pick tours that allow me plenty of time to be back on-board ahead of time.

Hope you have a great cruise;
David
8-days and counting
Conquest
Old August 17th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

The only time I've ever seen a ship wait is if the delay is with one of the ship sponsered tours. Once in Saint Petersburg when one of the passangers on a tour had fallen and broken their leg and they waited for his wife to come back to the ship and get their stuff to fly home. The other time was on the island of Saint Lucia. It was NCL's first experinece with taking passangers into that port and they waited over an hour for the "round the island tour" to get back. By the time they got back all of the passangers already on the ship were sitting on the aft deck, chearing them on, as the bus came speeding onto the dock.
Old August 17th, 2003, 11:15 PM
TamiM

While on Dawn Princess (Alaska, Northbound) this July, we noticed that there were always a few names paged to the Pursers desk between the time we were told to BE BACK ON SHIP and the time we were to sail. Example: Be back at 7PM, we sail at 7:30PM. We guessed that these were people who hadn't made it back on board yet. You swipe your sign and sail cards when leaving and returning to the ship. And, we always sailed at the stated times.

Tami
Old August 18th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Well, I am back. We had a wonderful time. We saw a man get left behind in our first port.
So we were back on the ship at 30 mins. before we sailed and that worked well. Tours we planned on our own were scheduled in the a.m. No worries, stay happy!
Old August 18th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Alaska Bound

Just back from the Inside Passage on the Island Princess and left on time at all ports. We tendered in Ketchikan and the last tender was supposed to be at 2pm. The line was a mile long at 2pm and they still got everyone aboard by departure time at 2:30. They really did a great job.